When Co-ords Are A Bit Off

After walking around in some nettles in the drizzle, I would like to suggest an idea to everyone. When you find the co-ords of a cache to be a bit off (and you are sure they are... good lock and rebooted GPS to ensure repeatable location) then could you post the updated co-ords in the cache log and tell the owner to check the co-ords. I have had several caches where bad co-ords were reported. I was lucky that with one of them, someone (not so long ago) had posted alternative co-ords in the log and I found the cache fairly easily. Geocaching is supposed to be fun, if you can trust the co-ords you can then blame yourself if you are not clever enough to work out the hiding place.

Thanks, rant over!!

PeterW (aka glopastic)

A good point. I'd happily update the co-ords of any of my caches* based on several logs with suggested better co-ords. And have in the past. It's only by averaging results from a selection of different GPSrs at different times, and perhaps with different amounts of tree cover through a year that you can be sure you're getting a reasonable figure. When placing a cache, I do the best I can, but under trees or near buildings there's always going to be a scrambling effect which upsets my ancient etrex yellow.

What does annoy me is a grumpy log saying 'co-ords miles out'. Some people don't stop to think that their GPS may be out, even if it is reporting (guessing at) 16ft accuracy. Logically mine would have been a bit out when setting the cache, and there's will be a bit out when hunting for it. A lack of DNFs or other complaints about the co-ords in logs would suggest there's no serious problem -you'd think- but it is possible for a few hunters to imagine there's is the only totally accurate GPSr in the world :shocked:

*Edited to add that goes for trads only. An email about multis and puzzle final cache co-ords would be better ;)

Edited by Simply Paul

What does annoy me is a grumpy log saying 'co-ords miles out'. Some people don't stop to think that their GPS may be out, even if it is reporting (guessing at) 16ft accuracy. Logically mine would have been a bit out when setting the cache, and there's will be a bit out when hunting for it. A lack of DNFs or other complaints about the co-ords in logs would suggest there's no serious problem -you'd think- but it is possible for a few hunters to imagine there's is the only accurate GPSr in the world :)

Yeah I know what you mean. I got this log which I thought the first line was a bit snotty! Apparently when visiting the GPS took him away from the cache.

No one else has had a problem with the co-ords, I also took note of the given co-ords and tried them out several times over different periods, to find they were wrong. Ho Hum, I do wish some people would just step back and see if the GPS settles down. Luckily I work within the place that the cache is hidden, otherwise my time may have been wasted checking out the false claims.

With that all said I have in the past, used other peoples co-ords such as at 'Scotland's First'. I have also taken a reading from caches and emailed owners to let them know that I had difficulties and I took a new reading. When I do this I ensure that my reading is consistent before leaving. To date I have not had any bad feedback from carrying out this practice.

i email the owner and leave it to them to decide what to do.

plus i try to give the accuracy rating that was showing.

I have encounted this problem several times out caching. I try not to correct people co-ords, as I am conscious about offending people or it being taken a negative criticism. I recently found a cache where the statded co-ords were over 100' off, and when I finally located the cache, it was completely empty axcept a sandwich bag and a rubber band, I think. My log did state that the cor-ords are off and I was dissaponted in the condition of the cache. Strangly, the next finder said it was in a dangerous position, and had to be accessed by reachoung over a large drop, which I know I didn't encounter!

I use the known offset* of a certain local cachers co-ords as an extra edge to help me find the cache. Unfortunately, all the local cachers also know about it too, so all advantage is lost! Bah!

I would normally email a cache owner if I though co-ords were off. If I put them in the log itself, I would do my best to be polite about it. Co-ords can vary depending upon conditions and the only way to categorically state that you are right is to revist the site on several different days and in different conditions.

I found a cache yesterday by virtue of some suggested co-ords posted in a previous log, otherwise I would be up to my knees in nettles still. I think I would therefore say 'post them', even if the cache owner does chose to change the cache co-ords, they may be of some help.

*not consistently present, but consistently off when it is present.

If others have had problems or said co-ords are off previously, and we find a large differance in co-ords, we tend to post our co-ords. Will try to remember John Steads tip in future!

John Stead

And if you do add coords please use the box allowing you to enter them properly as they stand out better.

Have found that at least two other cachers have found caches after us, found it with our co-ords...

Glad we could help!