Gpx File Identification And Content

I have 2 related questions:

1. I was wondering if there is a way to verify, that as a premium member, I am really downloading gpx files to Gsak? The reason I ask this is because when I download a search from geocaching.com to gsak, gsak gives me a prompt window asking me to indicate what State the caches are in, eluding to it being a .loc file. I specified I wanted my output in geocaching.com to be in gpx format, but I'm wondering if that is what I am getting or if I am missing a step somewhere?

2. Should the gpx downloads include the hints (decoded) and general comments (by the person who hid it - like extra directions, other places to park, careful where you park notes, etc. ) that we see on a cache page.

I am learning how to take files out of gsak as html files and I don't get hints and comments by the person who hid it. Might be a gsak problem, but thought I better start here and find out what geocaching.com is giving to gsak in a transfer.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Moving to the GPS Units and Software Forum.

In passing, I'll observe that all the information you're looking for IS included in the GPX files as delivered to you. So the remaining issues are largely GSAK issues. You might also try the GSAK support forum for assistance.

1. I was wondering if there is a way to verify, that as a premium member, I am really downloading gpx files to Gsak? The reason I ask this is because when I download a search from geocaching.com to gsak, gsak gives me a prompt window asking me to indicate what State the caches are in, eluding to it being a .loc file. I specified I wanted my output in geocaching.com to be in gpx format, but I'm wondering if that is what I am getting or if I am missing a step somewhere?

2. Should the gpx downloads include the hints (decoded) and general comments (by the person who hid it - like extra directions, other places to park, careful where you park notes, etc. ) that we see on a cache page.

I am learning how to take files out of gsak as html files and I don't get hints and comments by the person who hid it. Might be a gsak problem, but thought I better start here and find out what geocaching.com is giving to gsak in a transfer.

Q1. A .gpx file can be read via a suitable text editor (it may be too big for Windows 'Notepad' and you may have more luck with windows 'WordPad'.

Q2. The .gpx file should contain all the cache info and the last 5 logs.

GSAK will load either .gpx or .loc files natively. I suspect that the method you are using to download your data results in a .loc file. To download a .gpx file you must be a paid up member, then access the pocket queries pages to generate your search and ensure you tick the 'gpx' file box.

Edited to add: If a paid up member you can generate a .gpx file download direct from a single cache page.

Edited by Hi-Tek

I may be wrong about this, but I think that downloading from the search page produces a .loc file. To get a .gpx file, you need to do a "pocket query".

CLICK HERE to do a pocket query.

I'm sorry Neo_Geo but you are wrong. Provided an individual is a premium member and are 'logged-in' when viewing an individual cache page they can download a .gpx file of its detail. See ...Cache Page

HTH

I may be wrong about this, but I think that downloading from the search page produces a .loc file. To get a .gpx file, you need to do a "pocket query".

CLICK HERE to do a pocket query.

I'm sorry Neo_Geo but you are wrong. Provided an individual is a premium member and are 'logged-in' when viewing an individual cache page they can download a .gpx file of its detail. See ...Cache Page

HTH

That's correct Hi-Tek however Neo_Geo is referring to downloading from a list of caches on a search page and not from an individual cache page. It sounds like the OP is downloading from a search page and is getting the only format available from there, .loc.

Olar

I see your problem ...

1. You can't "download" the results of a Pocket Query. You have to schedule that query to execute and then have the results e-mailed to you. You can run Pocket Queries interactively for online view purposes, but if you want the file for import into GSAK, you need to actually have it execute and mail to you. What you are getting by checking items on the search results page is a LOC file. This contains basic coordinate data, but none of the rest of the goodies you want.

2. a GPX will include the entire cache description, hints, and the last 5 logs (or 4 plus your if you already found the cache). When you import into GSAK, you'll be able to see all this information plus export it later for use on a handheld, etc.

So ... go find one of your pocket queries that you've defined (if you've not done that yet, go to your "My Account" page and on the right side select "Build Pocket Query". Once there, setup a pocket query (don't select a "day" on which to run it initially until your sure you got it setup right since you only get five scheduled runs per day). After defining the PQ, preview it to be sure it's returning what you want. When you're satisfied, go back and edit the query and schedule it to run (pick today's day of the week if you want to run it right away). It should run in a few minutes and send it to you via email. Use the ZIP file you recieve in email to import into GSAK and you'll see everything you're expecting.