Garman Map60 Vs. Map60cx?

Ive been lookin to buy a new gps as my other one crapped out on me.

I'm lookin at the map60c and map60cx Product Comparison page on the garman webpage and for

the most part they look the same except that the map 60cx has the microSD card but the battery

life is way lower than the map 60c. Does anybody know why it has way lower battery life?

Any opinions on which unit is better and why would be great.

I'm lookin at the map60c and map60cx Product Comparison page on the garman webpage and for

the most part they look the same except that the map 60cx has the microSD card but the battery

life is way lower than the map 60c. Does anybody know why it has way lower battery life?

The microSD card is a pretty big deal. In addition to letting you load more maps it also allows saving an essentially unlimited length tracklog and large collections of custom POIs.

Furthermore the Cx model uses the SirFStarIII chipset which has substantially improved sensitivity to the Garmin chips in the C model and the processor seems to be quicker at tasks like redrawing the screen. The reduced battery life is presumably the result of the GPS chipset and processor change. Overall the Cx looks like a major step up from the C model.

I have both. The C sits in a drawer! The Cx is just so fabulously awesome!

The MicroSD card allows greater flexibility in the area of map coverage available, and also allows for storage of THOUSANDS of custom points of interests! It also allows you to write the active track log to the memory card. The reception with the SiRF III chipset also makes the plain ol' C model obsolete!

As far as battery life is concerned, well... it's just not a concern to me! I have a couple sets of rechargeable NiMH batteries. When one set gets low, I replace it with a freshly charged set! The playtime on a fresh set is sufficient for a day's use at least!

The SiRF chipset in the Cx may be drawing more power. The other thing I noticed about my 60CSx (just got it yesterday) compared to my 76C is that the x is definitely faster and re-drawing the screen. That's a very nice additional benefit of the 60/76C/S x models. The batt life is less but it's still better than what I used to get on my GPS III+ so I'm happy.

If you're not a GPS geek, the non-X model will do you just fine.

GeoBC