We Went W/the Garmin Etrex Vista Cx Expandable Color

for our son. Since he is a geology major, with a minor in GIS, we figured we might as well go with this. My husband and I don't get one now though. Or at least not for a while. We'll use his, if he'll let us. Ha-ha!!

It is being delivered today and he'll get it on Sunday...so I'm sure we'll have lots more questions after that time....stay tuned!

We are all going on vacation in 2 weeks and we'll use his then, that will be a test if my husband and I really want to get one for geocaching. Our sons unit will be for his courses, etc. and maybe a little geocaching on the side.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Geoky

Edited by geoky

PghDragonRider - Great to hear the good report. It is killing me not to open it and check it out. Well, I did open the box to make sure that everything was in there that is supposed to be, but I want to USE it. Ha!!

Chuy - It is Killing me!!!!! ;)

We certainly wouldn't want you to die! :P

Do what you must to survive! :P

Go 'head... pull it outta the box, put a couple batteries in and make sure it gets a good lock on the satellites! Once your son has a taste of what it will do, he'll understand your desire to use it. And it may be your only chance to get to use, because he may not let you take a turn with it! ;)

Edited by Neo_Geo

Yucca - that is a marvelous idea and we'll do it. Thanks!!

Well, my husband went and bought some AA batteries yesterday and we broke down and gave the GPS to our son yesterday afternoon. I just couldn't wait!! :rolleyes: Plus, I wanted him to learn how to use it before our trip next weekend. The GPS worked right out of the box. The battery compartment couldn't be easier to use. It was so neat watching the GPS run through the coordinates, etc. and then to point to where we were. How cool!!

Thanks again everyone for all of you help!!

Glad you enjoyed the Garmin etrex vista cx-love mine to death!

Great idea to buy rechargeables. I bought the cigarette lighter power cord, didn't work. Garmin sent me another one, doesn't work either!

Anyone know about this or if there is a correct power cord? I am not into sending it back for warranty work because I love it too much!

Great idea to buy rechargeables. I bought the cigarette lighter power cord, didn't work. Garmin sent me another one, doesn't work either!

Anyone know about this or if there is a correct power cord? I am not into sending it back for warranty work because I love it too much!

I have it and it works just fine ... I do note that it is somewhat particular about being placed in the cigarette lighter ... I sometimes have to twist or wiggle the plug a bit before the contacts might, well, contact and the green light comes on on the adapter.

I have it and it works just fine ... I do note that it is somewhat particular about being placed in the cigarette lighter ... I sometimes have to twist or wiggle the plug a bit before the contacts might, well, contact and the green light comes on on the adapter.

Green light comes on fine, screen just locks up. USB keeps it powered, so I think I'm going to pass on the cord. I've heard that some units will NOT accept power cords. I have NiMH batteries now so I'll move on.

Thanks!

Green light comes on fine, screen just locks up.

Does your computer still recognize the unit when it is connected? That same lock up killed my usb port, and the computer stopped recognizing the unit.. I am returning mine..

Arpat

Edited by apbambum

Green light comes on fine, screen just locks up.

Does your computer still recognize the unit when it is connected? That same lock up killed my usb port, and the computer stopped recognizing the unit.. I am returning mine..

Arpat

Hi and thank you for responding.

My Etrex Vista Cx runs off the usb with no problem. The icon on the unit even shows.

The problem is that when I use the DC adapter nothing happens! The Vista just freezes! Garmin sent me another cigarette lighter power cord and even though the green light is illuminated, it doesn't power the Vista. I am not ready to send the Vista back to Garmin as I'm not too sure that the adapter is supposed to work. I haven't heard from anyone who has the Vista powered with the DC cigarette lighter power cord.

I ordered NiMH rechargeables which cost about same as the DC adapter. This seems to work. I always have a pair ready to go and can use them for other things.

Go figure.

Rich