New Category - Need Help Please

I'm still working my way around the Waymarking site & forums trying to learn and get it all in. Having fun in the process but I seriously need assistance with setting up a category - or to see if I can even set up this category. B) I've started it so far and we have the requisite number of officers. I'm at the part where I need to fill out the category form but am not sure what to do there - or if the name for the category is even very good?

I wanted to create a category where we can log exact replicas of "famous" works of art, buildings, structures, etc. In our area alone I have seen several replicas of "famous" pieces, plus have seen others on our travels

This is what I have so far for the Category description:

A place to log locations of exact replicas of known or famous statues, sculptures, paintings, landmarks and structures. The replica should be permanent to its location or part of a permanent installation. The replica can be full size or a miniature version of the original. This category can include replicas of items that are located in, or are part of, a museum collection. It will not include any object that can be purchased in a store. The proper definition of replica is a copy made by the person who made the original although it is now commonly used to refer to any copy. In this case any copy will suffice as long as it is an exact copy of the original.

This is the link (hope this is correct):

http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/details.a...b6-e864362bf262

Quick question: Are variables subcategories?

Any help, thoughts, guidance would be appreciated as to what I need to do next or if this is even viable.

Thanks!

This is what I have so far for the Category description:

A place to log locations of exact replicas of known or famous statues, sculptures, paintings, landmarks and structures. The replica should be permanent to its location or part of a permanent installation. The replica can be full size or a miniature version of the original. This category can include replicas of items that are located in, or are part of, a museum collection. It will not include any object that can be purchased in a store. The proper definition of replica is a copy made by the person who made the original although it is now commonly used to refer to any copy. In this case any copy will suffice as long as it is an exact copy of the original.

Quick question: Are variables subcategories?

No, variables are not subcategories. In fact, there really are not sub-categories as such. There is only ONE Waymarking level, but it may be listed in a branching structure such as Buildings> Museums> History Museums

The final one is the category. Just where that category is placed in the structure is ultimately decided by the Groundspeak staff.

Variables may used to identify divisions within a category. For instance Replicas could have a variable for Type which could be a text box, but might better be a drop down list with the different types such as Sculpture, Building, Painting, etc. Variables can also be used to list other types of information such as Orignal Location, Original Creator, Address, etc.

This could certainly be a worthy category. I think you do have to be clear in your definition of replica. Does it need to be a scale model? Or, if there is a pizza place that has a general replica of the Tower of Pisa (I know of one) as part of its architecture, would this qualify? Same might be said of the Eiffel Tower, for instance. How exact is exact?

Anyway, once you've got your group, work on refining the categoring and then have the officers vote on it, and submit it for peer review. The peer review process will garner some additional suggestions.

Oh I like this idea. There are several historic lighthouses that are replicated in smaller scale on a lake in my desert state. This could be a fun category.

You have another famous replica in your state.... oops its the real thing B) and not a replica ..... London Bridge

No, variables are not subcategories. In fact, there really are not sub-categories as such. There is only ONE Waymarking level, but it may be listed in a branching structure such as Buildings> Museums> History Museums

The final one is the category. Just where that category is placed in the structure is ultimately decided by the Groundspeak staff.

So I just need to create the category at this point and the staff will place it in the appropriate spot if it is approved, right?

Variables may used to identify divisions within a category. For instance Replicas could have a variable for Type which could be a text box, but might better be a drop down list with the different types such as Sculpture, Building, Painting, etc. Variables can also be used to list other types of information such as Orignal Location, Original Creator, Address, etc.

I think I get what you are saying here. Is this something I set up then, and if so at what point? After peer approval?

This could certainly be a worthy category. I think you do have to be clear in your definition of replica. Does it need to be a scale model? Or, if there is a pizza place that has a general replica of the Tower of Pisa (I know of one) as part of its architecture, would this qualify? Same might be said of the Eiffel Tower, for instance. How exact is exact?

Thank you and very good points. I'm thinking more along the lines of real replicas - or as real as a replica can be. For instance, in our area, we have 2 full size replicas of very famous statues as well as a small scale replica of a famous green lady. And of those 2 full size statues, one (or maybe both) is found as a replica, in several places in the world. I've seen full scale replicas of Greek temples. Generally these types of replicas have some kind of plaque that goes along with them explaining what it is made of and why the city or town received it, built it, donated it, etc. But then we run into la Tour Eiffel in Vegas. And there are also full size replicas of Roman Statues at Caesar’s Palace.

I suppose one of the items on the drop down list (if I figure that out) could be something like quirky or fun replicas, like the aforementioned Tower of Pisa or Eiffel Tower. True replicas built for entertainment value or to enhance a business. Not a replica in the sense of........ And this is where the definition needs to be refined. Help!!!! :laughing:

Or not get too technical and just accept all as long as they are an exact replica of the original. No matter what material it is made of and what purpose used for - business, display, celebrations, fun. I think if we leave the restraints off people will have more fun with it. But the items accepted in do need to be permanently placed or part of a museum exhibit. Does that sound reasonable?

You have another famous replica in your state.... oops its the real thing and not a replica ..... London Bridge

There should be someplace for this too even if it is the real thing. It's real but not located where it originally started...... I had to think for a minute before I remembered it was the real London Bridge.

Anyway, once you've got your group, work on refining the categoring and then have the officers vote on it, and submit it for peer review. The peer review process will garner some additional suggestions.

Will do. Thanks for these suggestions and any others you want to throw my way. :laughing:

BTW - I've never been great at using quotes so if the above is a mess, I apologize!

(fixed quotes - Jeremy)

Edited by Jeremy