Satellite Reception In Grand Canyon

Al P

This is a little off-topic, but I figured that this SW forum would be my best shot. I am signed up for a 13-day raft trip on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon starting on June 1st. Should I take my Garmin Vista-C on the trip? Will there be adequate satellite reception in the canyon? The trip starts near Lake Powell and ends near Diamond Peak.

Thanks in advance,

Al P

Tallahassee, FL

This is a little off-topic, but I figured that this SW forum would be my best shot. I am signed up for a 13-day raft trip on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon starting on June 1st. Should I take my Garmin Vista-C on the trip? Will there be adequate satellite reception in the canyon? The trip starts near Lake Powell and ends near Diamond Peak.

Thanks in advance,

Al P

Tallahassee, FL

Just make sure you give your Vista C additional protection from the water....

Since there are caches DOWN IN THE CANYON, it IS possible to get reception there.

The Vista C has a 'patch' antenna, which should be just fine in situations like that...

I hiked from the North Rim to the South Rim and spent a couple of days at Phantom Ranch several years ago. I was able to get decent reception most of the time. The canyon is deep but it's also very wide which gives you a pretty good view of the sky.

I envy your trip. The Canyon is a special place.

Utahbill