Newbie: Ordered Magellan 400... Should I Cancel? Help!

The research I had done prior to buying a GPS seemed to indicate that Garmin and Magellan were fairly comparable with some favoring one, and some the other. I recently had the chance to buy a Magellan Explorist 400 for $229, which seemed well below the regular price. Plus with the $50 rebate promotion currently running I would get it for $179 which seemed like a pretty good deal for all of the features included so I ordered it.

Then I came here to do some more research out of curiosity on the differences between Garmin and Magellan and found all sorts of customer service horror stories. I don't have a lot of money... this is a one time thing for me thanks to a bit of a bonus, so I can't afford to blow $200 on something I am going to regret.

The order hasn't shipped yet, so I can still cancel it... so my question is should I? Could I get a Garmin with similar features for the same kind of price? (I can't go over $200 after rebates, taxes, etc.) Please Help!

Edit: I don't know if this matters or not, but this is the wite explorist 400 (not the green) with SD card slot.

Edited by ThePoet

Just as you found when choosing your GPSr there was a great deal the same about Garmin and Magellan units, customer service is probably in a similar vein. You only tend to see the horror stories, most satisfied customers dont post thier experiences. Though on balance there does seem to less satisfaction with Thales (Magellan) in the USA than elsewhere.

Remember that there is a wealth of information available to you via these forums, you only have to ask the questions. The only thing that cant be done is fix it if you really break it, so love your GPSr and treat it with care. Then you may never need customer services anyway.

Just as you found when choosing your GPSr there was a great deal the same about Garmin and Magellan units, customer service is probably in a similar vein. You only tend to see the horror stories, most satisfied customers dont post thier experiences. Though on balance there does seem to less satisfaction with Thales (Magellan) in the USA than elsewhere.

Actually if you go to the GPS Units and Software forum (which BTW is where I'm moving this) you will see quite a few threads praising Garmin's customer support. They do seem to have one of the better customer service depts/policies that I've ever seen.

That said, to the OP, the 400 is a good unit and you got it at a good price. I'd keep it. I think in the end only a small percentage of customers ever actually need customer service.

Dont sweat it, you did your research and the magellan is a good unit and you got it at a good pice point.

You'll find this forum heavy on Garmin and so might feel yourself pushed to only get a Garmin. I had a lowrance unit years ago and it was a great gps and had some features I liked over the garmins I have today.

I have a 60csx now but the price point is double what you paid. Enjoy your GPS.

I've had first rate customer service from Magellan. And slow, but adequate costumer service from Garmin. Just so you hear both are possible. As far as the unit, you got a good price - what the heck, I'd go with it.

BUY IT NOW IF YOU STILL CAN OR HAVEN'T ALREADY lol. Sorry for yelling, but I have the magellan explorist 400, and I love it. The mapsend software that you need with it can be a bit expensive if you get it from a retailor (180 canadian). I didn't know what geocaching was till I got my GPS, then came on here and read all the postings megallan bashing, and I started to think that I just spent allot of money on a piece of crap. But then I started geocaching, and usually the GPS gets me within a few feet (about 5) of the cache. I've read postings of Garmin users that say they get within 20 to 30 feet of the cache, and I laugh.

Actually if you go to the GPS Units and Software forum (which BTW is where I'm moving this) you will see quite a few threads praising Garmin's customer support. They do seem to have one of the better customer service depts/policies that I've ever seen.
You can also find threads praising Magellan. I haven't been paying attention lately, but I specifically remember reading past threads where users would send in a broken unit in to Magellan and when they got it back, not only was the reported problem fixed, but Magellan often gave free extras such as replacing the scratched up screen with a new screen, putting in fresh batteries, and tossing in a free carrying case and/or serial cable. Admittedly, that was a couple years ago; don't know if they still do those sort of things. Edited by Jeeters