Technology For Cacheing

I was recently introduced to Caching & wanted to get an opinion from the group. I own a tech business & already have Ms streets strips on my tablet PC that came with a USB GPS receiver. Any opinions on How well this would work for getting in the game? the software will allow me to plot coordinates as well as having a real time Compass & coordinate tracking. Let me know what you think

Darn near anything will work. As long as you can set the Map Datum to WGS84 and the coordinate system to DD MM.MMM you should be fine. The best way to know if it is going to suit you is simply to go out and try it. Pick a low difficulty cache that is NOT a micro and go look for it.

It will work fine until:

• You drop it in the creek
  • Drop it face down on a rock pile cache
  • Set it down and step on it
  • Put it in your back pocket and sit on it

I've done all of the above and the GPSr still works fine, not sure a tablet PC would hold up.

Edited by badlands

Thanks for the input. I tried it out this morning & was able to find my first 2 cache's. Thanks again & i'll be extra careful with my tablet. One nice thing I didnotice is the ability to print the web page as a PDF before I Leave, then I have all the information about a cache with me. Kinda helped me out this morning!

Glad you found your first 2 caches and now the addiction begins. ^_^ Now all you have to do is become a prmium member of GC.com so you can get pocket queries and load all the ifo into GSAK onto your tablet and you are on your way. Enjoy the past time and happy caching. Haffy

Pretty much anything that will show you your current coordinates can be used for geocaching. However, I don't know if I would want to take a tablet PC in the field.

I'm pretty new at this but this afternoon I was out wading the edges of a marsh, thinking "I'm really glad that my GPSr is waterproof in case I stumble and drop it in the drink here." Then a little later it was starting to rain and I was thinking, "I'm really glad that my GPRs is waterproof ..." etc. And EVERYONE I've personally asked has dropped their GPSr at least once, despite tethers, clips, wrist bands, being careful, etc. So if I were you, as the addiction grows, I'd look into an inexpensive handheld dedicated machine!

A tablet could be the cat's meow for caching; load it up with ExpertGPS and preload aerial and topos, maybe Mapsource and nroute - and the .pdfs - boy that could be nice. However, there's no way my tablet would still be around after just a handful of caches. Hiking along looking even at a handheld GPSr is hazardous enough much less trying to balance and hold onto the tablet - thank you, no, way too many things that could happen to an expensive piece of equipment. But it is nice to have in the car.. Maybe someday they'll make an affordable "Tough Tablet" that would be a little more feasible for caching.

Why not just save the cache page as a .pdf file or html file and just look at it on the tablet instead of printing it out? That's why we carry a PDA and a GPS ..... and you've got an even slicker set-up!!!!

:laughing: ImpalaBob

That, what I meant by Printing it. It's how you create a pdt From other File formats. You send the document to a printer called pdf distiller. You can turn any document into a pdf by using it.

Thanks again & i'll be extra careful with my tablet.

Oh that won't work. :o My first cache I dropped mine in the snow and started snow shoeing away. I just recently forgot it on the forest floor with my sunglasses. Thanks to the missus for pointing that one out.

Why not just save the cache page as a .pdf file or html file and just look at it on the tablet instead of printing it out? That's why we carry a PDA and a GPS ..... and you've got an even slicker set-up!!!!

:unsure: ImpalaBob

That, what I meant by Printing it. It's how you create a pdt From other File formats. You send the document to a printer called pdf distiller. You can turn any document into a pdf by using it.

I think what he meant was that the system already provides cache pages in PDF format. All you have to do is save it from the cache page link. There's no need to create your own.