Philosophy Of Geocaching

Do you have a philosophy of geocaching? I had to look up the definition of philosophy: A set of ideas or beliefs relating to a particular field or activity; an underlying theory. I guess my philosophy of geocaching would be: a way in which people can discover nature, uncover hidden treasures, and find solitude or friendship while using cool instruments.

Let me know if there's anything you would add to this list...

Thanks!

I think you'll find much of what you're looking for in this thread, no?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=131076

I did see that line! It was very interesting. A lot of whys and such. I guess I was looking for - what? - deeper, fuller meanings such as: man's interaction with his environment, enjoying the attributes of space and behavior of geocachers toward their physical and social environment.... stupid philosophy of geocachers paper. I thought I could pick a few fellow cachers' thoughts on why. Seems like it's mainly to get out of the house (and away from the computer?). A surprise. I thought it was mainly to enjoy nature.

Thanks for your reply.

I think you'll find much of what you're looking for in this thread, no?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=131076

I did see that line! It was very interesting. A lot of whys and such. I guess I was looking for - what? - deeper, fuller meanings such as: man's interaction with his environment, enjoying the attributes of space and behavior of geocachers toward their physical and social environment.... stupid philosophy of geocachers paper. I thought I could pick a few fellow cachers' thoughts on why. Seems like it's mainly to get out of the house (and away from the computer?). A surprise. I thought it was mainly to enjoy nature.

Thanks for your reply.

I think these two responses are, while worded differently, in fact the same thing, just an abbreviated form (ie...to get out of the house and enjoy nature)

I think these two responses are, while worded differently, in fact the same thing, just an abbreviated form (ie...to get out of the house and enjoy nature)

IMHO I must disagree, I go to the movies or hang out at school "just to get out of the house", but enjoying nature at its fullest requires an hour's drive so I don't get to enjoy it everytime I get out of the house.

I'm still trying to think of a a way to phrase my phisosophy for caching, I'll get it soon :lol:

edit: typo

Edited by scavok
To geocache or not to geocache ... now that is the question.

Actually, it's more like "To geocache or to post in the forums..."

It's pretty obvious which you have chosen.

:lol: fizzy, fizzy, fizzy ... don't worry, my post numbers aren't even close to yours. Your fascination with numbers is amusing.

Your fascination with numbers is amusing.

Clear, Clear, Clear (hmm... Scientology? Would certainly make sense)... Too bad your fascination with caching is so much less than your fascination with the sound of your own voice.

Blah, blah, blah and a blahbber blah blah ... goodness, I love to hear myself. Makes me want to follow Hollywood actors into a religion that was conceived by a science fiction author. Dang it, my covers blown, I've been completely revealed ... ^_^

Edited by clearpath

My philosophy for geocaching...

As I like to find caches in interesting places, pleasant places I didn't know existed, or be challenged mentally or physically; I like to reciprocate in our hides. While we may not always be successful, we do concentrate on the hunt. Making the hunt itself rewarding is the most important thing.

Additionally, when hunting a cache, we try to leave the cache ready for the next person. See my sig line for my favorite quote.