Newbe?

bribb

remember your first hunt? We are brand new to the sport, three days as a matter of fact...our first two cache hunts turned up as "not founds"..I thought we had done a pretty good job of searching, but still came up empty. My question is ...Are DNF common or are we not looking hard enough? I have contacted the "owners" for info; their replys helpful..will return with news later. good luck all and happy hunting

Hi and welcome! We are also new to Geocaching and have had a similar experience with only one find out of three tries. The folks who hid the caches have been helpful and supportive. Also, our first efforts were while visiting family here in Florida. Being a little more familiar with the area may help. Lots of lakes to navigate around but that was fun in itself. I think most of the problem is lack of experience in using our receiver and also learning to "think like a geocacher." We are using the Garmin Legend and have been pleased and impressed with its capabilities. Again, welcome, and hope your next experience will be a positive one.

Sincerely,

Clockdoc

Montgomery, AL

Silly question but do you print out a copy of the cache page or take notes? My first DNF (I'm new as well 13 finds) was because I thought the cache was 75' instead of 175' away from the given coordinates. "I didn't take notes." Also the encrypted clue usually helps me. Especially when it comes to micro-caches.

Edited by amarillosnow

For some of the more difficult caches, a DNF is not uncommon. However, you'll likely find that many of the more experienced cachers won't log a DNF on their first time out. Most have an arbitrary amount of time or number of visits to the location that they will invest before claiming a serious DNF.

You didn't indicate what caches you were looking for (GC number), but it is possible that being new you took on too diffiult of a hide for your first attempt. Some of the cache containers (particularly micros) can be quite small and quite cleverly hidden such that unless you've seen them before you may just miss them (I remember the first time I saw a "Mr Magneto" container and couldn't believe my eyes that it was the cache).

To get a couple finds under your belt, I would suggest the following:

1. Look for some caches in your area that have a 1.5 or less difficulty rating and likely a less than 2 terrain rating. These should be reaonably easy to find.

2. Look for a cache that has a container listed as "Regular" or larger in size. A "Small" might be doable as well, but avoid anything listed as "Micro" initially.

3. Make sure the cache is listed as a "Traditional" cache. Avoid a multi, puzzle, or other type of cache for your first attempt (unless it's an event). A traditional cache will list coordinates that specify the location the cache is hidden.

3. Try for a non-urban cache (go for a walk in the woods or at a park) as these can be usually found more easily since the container doesn't necessisarily need to be hidden as well.

4. Check the logs for the cache and find one that's been found recently and which doesn't have a lot of DNF's. Caches do occasionally go missing, but if it's been found a lot and recently, there's much less of a chance it will be missing and you should be able to locate it with reasonable effort.

5. Be prepared to invest some time searching. There are some caches which have taken me three visits to a site and over 3 hours of searching before I finally came up with it (granted, on an easier cache this is almost never the case).

If you're still having trouble, contact the owner and explain that you're a noob. They may just be willing to give you a hint to help you get started.

Although new also, I have found that it gets easier.

First one must realize that the GPS won't walk you to the exact spot.

Second, Instead of looking under every leaf or bark piece use a little intuition(sp?)

Third before giving up on the cache that is not to be found, take a step back( or maybe 30) recheck cordinates and find that you may have just been off by a little bit.

Fourth, if I play with my compass and gps too long my kids will find the cache anyway because they are having fun not trying to "complete the task"

Good luck! We are hooked.

I have lost track of my DNFs.

First, when I hit an area, I will make a quick search, looking in all the likely spots.

Knowing the hand held GPSs are not as accurate as some people seem to think. An accuracy error of 20ft on one gps and 20ft on another can equal 40 feet. Trees, canyons, buildings, and other structures can effect the signals from the satelites reaching the gps. ^_^ Using the satelite page on the gps, I will turn in a circle to find which direction gives me the most satelites and the best accuracy.

Low batteries will effect the accuracy of the gps too.

Then I will check the cache sheet (I am looking into a PDA but for now I print off all the caches). I check the coords to make sure they are entered correctly. I read the instructions and clues very carefully trying to pull a hint out of a cryptic reference. Even the name of the cache can be a clue.

Find a good ground zero, look around in an ever widening circle for something that gives the cache away.

If that doesn't work, I qo back to the web site and review all the logs, looking for hints and possible problems with the hide such as accurace of coords and other DNFs.

I will try the cache again and if I find it, I might remark that it took me one or two tries to complete.

I only log a DNF after a good hard search and alot of times I follow up with an e-mail to the owner with a request for a hint or to do a check-up. Or, if I know someone who found the cache before, I might contact them and ask for a lifeline. I might even contact the previous finder for help.

The point is, Don't Give Up!!! I've gone as far as having a fellow cacher hold my hand and lead me to a cache I just couldn't find.

Some of the caches are hidden in a way to make them hard to find even for the most experienced cacher. While it is fun to find an easy cache, the excitement of finding a very challenging cache you have put a lot of effort into, especially one that has stumped other cachers is very rewarding. :)

If you have never had a find yet, the problem may be in how your GPS is set up. Before entering the caches into the GPS, the settings have to be Map Datum WGS 84 and LAT/LON Hemisphere, Degrees, Minutes, Decimal point Min (hddd mm.mmm). This is the format Groundspeak uses and if your GPS is in some other format, you could be a couple of hundred yards off.

If you have to change the settings, you will need to re-enter any waypoints already entered under the other settings because when the format is changed, the waypoints in the unit are automatically converted to the new settings to keep them in the same location as when they were entered.

Before my GPSr arrived I had spent 2 weeks reading the forums here and had a pretty good idea how things worked. I picked a "regular" cache for my first hunt and found the ammo can in a hollow tree within a short time. I was blown away and sat there with a stupid grin on my face going through the swag and marveling that these things are all around and I had never known about them.

Don't start with a micro - pick a nice big old ammo can cache and cut your teeth on that.

After more finds than I can count there is still a cache that is rated 1/1 that I've DNF'd at lest 6 times. Last week I had 3 DNF's in a row, with 6 on the day.

Yup....very common.

Log your DNF's, have fun with the log entry. Over time you will find that these are the most enjoyable and memorable. (they are also fun for others to read too)

Silly question but do you print out a copy of the cache page or take notes? My first DNF (I'm new as well 13 finds) was because I thought the cache was 75' instead of 175' away from the given coordinates. "I didn't take notes." Also the encrypted clue usually helps me. Especially when it comes to micro-caches.

Right now since I haven't gone paperless yet (it's in the works) I have a notebook full of print-outs that I have of caches that I haven't got to yet.

We are newbies. All these suggests are great! My sister got me started. It helps alot having someone go with you who has a little more experience. You then quickly learn that your GPS isn't perfect. Even when you have 2 of them, you can be way off, the posted co-ords can be off, you can have interference etc, etc. But knowing my sister couldn't zoom right in, made me realize I wasn't doing anything wrong! The more experienced person has also seen some of the crazy containers that are used. If you don't know what you are looking for, you can touch it & not realize it! It's addictive!! :mad:

I just purchased a PDA, looking to put the 2" three ring binder behind me. I have spent countless hours printing off sheets and going to areas in many different states. Just going off the coordinates without the rest of the information from the cache page is asking for trouble. Of the 500+ finds I have, I have at least that many more printouts from caches I never made it to or couldn't find.

Some good tips in here. I too am new and I've had two attempts at a cache in a park 400 meters from my home where I have not been able to find it. On the first attempt, I thought I'd found the spot for sure. Found some rocks all piled up pyramid like. I unpiled the rocks and found the skeleton of somebody's pet cat buried under the rocks. ;):D:D:shocked::D Had my 11 year old daughter with me who was horrified at the discovery. Fortunately she's not scarred for life and is eager to do this with me. LOL

So, this is the only one I have looked for, going back tomorrow with my new GPS just purchased today for another look. I think I may be putting a little too much faith in my GPS to get me to the exact spot. I will expand my search area once the GPS gets me to the zone when I go back for another look.