Additional Waypoints

Hi-Tek

If you are gonna use the 'additional' waypoints facility when submitting a cache PLEASE ensure that the co-ords for the 'additionals' are not the same as the 'original' cache :lol: .

It causes problems with one icon (e.g.Parking) superimposed on another when using mapping software on the PC or GPSr :lol: .

I may be a little thick here, but does the additional waypoints only list them?

Wouldn't it be great if it allowed you to download a loc or gpx file with them in? I know I'm old and lazy but keying in waypoints is very tedious for us wrinklies. I've also made errors in the past and set off on the wrong path!

Perhaps this is something Geocaching.com could add?

They are in the GPX file if you get a pocket query, although I choose not to load them into my database, as it tends to clutter it up.

T

Edit: To add that they are a separate GPX file, but within the same zip file that gets emailed to you.

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

Agreed, but I prefer to load only the waypoints for the caches I am visiting that day onto my gps as, like Tigger points out, they do cutter - with the pocket query I think I get all the additionals associated with every cache in that query. Also they are only available to premium members.

We can download individual locs and, if a premium member, gpx's for the cache from that page so why not have an option to include the additionals? Only a thought!

FollowMeChaps

Edited by FollowMeChaps

Sorry Hi-Tek but I feel I must argue the other way. As someone who plans there caching journeys on the PC hiving a parking waypoint is a great advantage to me, even if it is the same as the cache waypoint.

As I understand it the additional waypoints are meant to be 'additional' to the 'main' co-ords. There is at least one cache that has 2 additional waypoints with the same co-ords as the main - what is the point of that? When viewed on a map/GPSr there is a good chance that whichever icon is on top will lead to confusion especially in a cache dense area.

I started looking for further occurences where 'additional' waypoints = main and gave up when I got to 50. :lol: (Note to self - get a life :lol: )

They are in the GPX file if you get a pocket query, although I choose not to load them into my database, as it tends to clutter it up.

T

Edit: To add that they are a separate GPX file, but within the same zip file that gets emailed to you.

The New version of GSAK handles them a lot better, as child waypoints, so only one entry(no matter how many additional waypoints there are) but you can export them if you want.

Unfortunately there is no way to flag a cache waypoint as a parking waypoint so the only way to do it is to list the waypoint twice.

Let’s compromise as suggest one waypoint should be the middle of the parking and the other at the entrance. I will also add that only puzzle caches and a few multis will be affected.

Unfortunately there is no way to flag a cache waypoint as a parking waypoint so the only way to do it is to list the waypoint twice.

Not true I'm afraid - any waypoint can be allocated a different icon be it parking or whatever on GPSr and Mapping programs such as Mapsource.

With one cache that has 2 additional waypoints with the same co-ords as the main cache I end up with the following ...

Main cache co-ords = Multi

Parking co-ords = Parking

Stage of Multi = Information

These are one on top of the other - now which one do I see on the GPSr/Map :lol:

Not true I'm afraid - any waypoint can be allocated a different icon be it parking or whatever on GPSr and Mapping programs such as Mapsource.

...but unless I read through the cache description and manually change the icon then the software cannot identify it is a parking location, or am I missing a new GC.Com setting.

I am sorry if it is selfish but I would rather you had to manually read the cache listing before uploading and delete an additional (but correct) waypoints to make it look good on your make of device than I have the hassle of reading the cache listings to identify what is a parking coordinate.

As far as I can see you are asking people to misuse a new feature for the sake of a minority of devices used in the way you are using it, and at the cost of those using the new features to there full extents. If you don’t like the new feature then don’t use it, but please don’t spoil it for those of us who want to use the system as intended.

One final question, is the icon a big problem when navigating or just aesthetic?

As far as I can see you are asking people to misuse a new feature for the sake of a minority of devices used in the way you are using it, and at the cost of those using the new features to there full extents. If you don’t like the new feature then don’t use it, but please don’t spoil it for those of us who want to use the system as intended.

I disagree. To set the record straight I think the additional waypoints are a great feature. They are supposed to be additional waypoints which in my book means that they should not be the same as the main cache waypoint. IHMO people who duplicate waypoints are the ones misusing the system.
One final question, is the icon a big problem when navigating or just aesthetic?

You appear to not understand the significance of 3 icons appearing one on top of the other - you can only see the one on top not the two underneath, which could be either the Cache, parking or information icons.

I disagree. To set the record straight I think the additional waypoints are a great feature. They are supposed to be additional waypoints which in my book means that they should not be the same as the main cache waypoint. IHMO people who duplicate waypoints are the ones misusing the system.

I respectfully disagree as well. Without further guidance will continue to do what I consider to be the most logical way of doing things and continue to add parking waypoints as additional waypoints, and urge others to do the same. Perhaps you should post in the in the "Geocaching.com Web Site" for clarification.

You appear to not understand the significance of 3 icons appearing one on top of the other - you can only see the one on top not the two underneath, which could be either the Cache, parking or information icons.

I understand, you can only see one and that one is not necessarily the one you want to see. Think through what you are asking, you want to see cache icons instead of parking icons, I want to select parking coordinates on the satnav when available and can not do this if it is not listed. Not listing them just because that is the same as another waypoint seems utterly daft.

Anyway I fear we will never agree and I have made my point so I will leave it at that.

If you are going to add 'additional' waypoints then make them additional to the main cache, not the same.

When I'm driving through an area I would prefer to see on my GPSr map a 'cache' icon not an information/parking/trailhead or whatever icon - at least that way I know there's a cache origin point there and won't confuse it with information/parking/trailheads for a cache that is in the nearby area.

I would much prefer to know that there is a cache nearby rather than have it being muddled with waypoints for an alternative nearby cache. At 70mph I really don't have the time!

Okay, I was going to let this drop, but I feel I must address that.

First, you should not be looking for caches to find at 70mph!

Second, if a parking location for a cache is shown then you can bet there is a cache near by, and shouldn’t you in fact be driving to the parking place and not the cache.

Third, they are additional. You can have multiple waypoints with the same coordinates. Plus even if they were entitled additional coordinates you are using the definition of the name to fit your own short-term wishes. If you disagree with this (that you obviously do) then get Jeremy to clarify the definition with respects to GC.com.

Perhaps you should stop debating this with me and either get GC.com to clarify the situation, get on to your software developer and suggest a facility the removal of the parking waypoint if it is within a certain distance of the cache waypoint, or just don’t download the additional waypoints.

Edited by alistair_uk
First, you should not be looking for caches to find at 70mph!
Where in the rules of the game does it stipulate a speed limit when seeking out caches? <_<

Whilst driving down the motorway I find it handy to see a cache (not a parking) icon appearing - it gives me the opportunity to take the next turn off, take a look at 'CacheMate' to see whether its within reasonable distance and feasable to hunt for - this also helps to comply with the suggested 2 hour break by TPTB too ;) .

It seems that you have an alternative idea on what constitutes an 'additional' waypoint and, as Clyde of GSAK fame, has come up with a macro to fix this mis-use (IMHO) of waypoints then AFAIC the topic no longer requires debate - and I'm closing the thread. Many thanks for your alternative view and input :) .