Best Low Cost Pda For Paperless Caching

Needed:

1) Hardware to run a mobile paperless geocaching application (like cachemate) for a long time (like two or three weeks on batteries)

2) Must have some non-volitile memory (can not be erased for a few MB, and at least 8MB total for running applications).

3) Must have variable alarms with calendar

4) Must be able to link to OUTLOOK calendar

5) Desired to have a USB connector; but required to have the standard PALM connector too/also for NMEA connections to GPS devices.

6) Must be cheap (under $30)

Found:

1) Sony Clie SL10 – monochrome version

2) Palm IIIxe – monochrome

3) Palm M130, M125, M500, M505 (some have SD card slots)

4) Handspring Visor (color has more capability, but less battery life?)

You will want the SD card slot to back up the PDA since that's the only memory that's non volitile.

Some PDA's use part of their ROM as built in non volitle storage. That's fairly common in the Pocket PC world. I have no idea bout the Palm world.

Two or three weeks is pushing it. You will need to rechage these things occiasionally. Palms do last longer than Pocket PCs but they still can't make it 2 or thee weeks if you use them regularly especially for caching. I could be wrong.

I would go with the 130 or the 515 I have both units and am quite happy with them. :huh:

it seems I have seen an external power source for these units that you can use standard AA batteries to power the unit by plugging the device into the palm. just cannot remember where I have seen this device :P I will be getting one if I can find it B)

You can get these adapters on ebay. some search like "palm AA battery adapter" should work