Paperless Caching, Handspring / Pam Visor Edge

Hello!

After reading the forums etc, I have splashed out on Cache Mate (all 8 USD, about £4.36!) for my old Handspring Visor Edge. It is a Palm all but in name. What want to know is how have other people found the Find facility on the Handspring / Palm? I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS which will show you the nearest caches from your current location, and due to space constraints shows you the GCxxxx number. I then want to put that GCxxxx number into my Visor's find facility and the blurb to appear on screen. The VERY first time I did this, it worked. But on subsequent attempts, the find facility does not find any GCxxxx numbers. Reading on Cache Mates website, it acknowledges that there was a problem on Palm based computers with firmware previous to version 4.x. Fine I would accept that, but it did work the once! :laughing:

Anyone have any other thoughts / experiences?

Cheers

Scott

PS. The Visor Edge has 8 Mb of RAM, I have uploaded 300 caches onto it and still have 6.6 Mb free!! I could be in caching heaven!!

The visor edge uses firmware version 3.5.2. and it's not upgradeable.

I don't know what the cachemate issue is, but perhaps it's that the search feature only works the first time. Have you asked cachemate for help?

Does anyone else have problems with their earlier palms? I think a few people are using palm 3s and Vs which are all pre-v4 OS.

Hi

I'm using a 60csx and handspring visor

I've just tried to search by gcxxx and like you it only worked once.

I search by waypoint name and not the GCxxxx number.

how are exporting the gpx file to your garmin ?

I haven't exported the GPX yet, as I already have loads of caches on the GPSr. That will be test two! :laughing: I use EasyGPS. I was just thinking about the GCxxxx number as a preference. As you'll know with the CSx, you click find, select geocache, and the GPSr bring up the caches closest to you at the top of the list then further down the list you go, the further the caches are from your current position. The list presents the GC number. You can click enter on them and get some very limited information.

I will contact Cachemate and see what they advise. Thanks for all your advice and feedback so far.

I will contact Cachemate and see what they advise. Thanks for all your advice and feedback so far.

Found this blurb on Cachemate website

"There seems to be problems with this in Palm OS versions earlier than 4.0, though, considering the search feature relies heavily on certain OS functions. An alternative way, in CacheMate 2.3 or later, is to go to the list view, select the waypoint sort order, and start entering characters in the waypoint name (with Graffiti or an attached keyboard). The list will scroll to the first matching record as you do that."

A top tip I think there regarding the Graffiti entry. I will, excuse the pun, practice my P's and Q's! :laughing:

So that's it, it appears that I will have to upgrade my Palm... Boooo! :huh:

Scott

I am not sure I understand the problem. If you want to find the nearest caches to where you are use Cachemate to sort by location. If you have the right cables and your GPSr and Palm will support it, this is done automagically. Eve nif yo uhave to input the coordinates Cachemate and your GPSr wil lshow the same caches.

I don't use the find feature to find the caches in my Palm.

the graffiti tip is good, but I have one more tip if you are also using GSAK (which I recommend) and that is to use the %drop2 for the waypoint id being sent to the PDA (and GPSr). That will drop off the GC, which will make alpha searches much faster as you no longer worry about the common GC before everything.