A Few Questions...

Lotho

Hello, im kinda new to geocaching and i havent even finished one cache yet! Reason being its was a 3 star multi cache and i only found one of 2 caches, the you get the co-ors to a main cache.

I havent got a gps and im relying on my knowledge of the local area and google earth to find caches on my bike.

My birthday is on the 4th of may and i maybe able to buy a gps with my other freind who started for the same reason as me.

Can someone name all types of battery in gps please? Batterys that you can buy in local stores, such as petrol stations/gas stations, such as AA, AAA and such.

Also, does this :mad: frog have any history in geocaching or is it just a random emoticon?

Im only 13 so i dont know if i should get a gps or rely on google earth.

If i was to get a gps i do not know how they work exactly so if anyone could give a quick rundown that would be much appreiciated.

Thanks alot,

Lotho

First, I would suggest you start with an easier cache. Look for caches in your immediate area that have a 1 or 1.5 difficulty and terrain rating. These will be much easier to find when you're first getting started. Also, start with a "traditional" cache, not a multi. A "traditional" will just be the set of coordinates that guide you to the actual cache location. Save the other more complicated ones for when you have more experience -- and in the case of a multi -- have a GPSr of your own that you can use to put in the new coordinates. Also try to find a cache which is listed as a "regular" size container or if necessary at least a "small". Some "micro" category caches can keep you looking for a very long time. Your profile says you are from "Reading" (is that Reading, PA?). If you tell us at least the state, perhaps some others can suggest some good "getting started" caches in the area.

Note: Google Earth and other satellite programs are good for getting an idea of where a cache might be hidden, but they can be off 30ft or more, so take this into account.

As for batteries, that depends on the unit. Since you're just starting out, I would suggest an inexpensive basic unit like Garmin eTrex (Yellow) or even a Geko. The Magellan Explorist 100 is also a good inexpensive unit. You can find these online or pick one up at a local sporting goods or electronics store for under $100 (I saw one recently in the Sunday paper at a local store for $80). All of these units will be sufficient to get you started and are usually within "birthday present" price ranges. All of the ones listed above use the standard AA batteries (Alkaline) like you buy at just about any store.

As for a few other suggestions ...

Try to find someone in your area who is already a geocacher that you know (many families often cache together, so it possible one of your friends is a geocacher or one of their parents are). If you can find someone, see if you can arrange (with your parents permission) to go along the next time they go caching. This is the best way to learn ... cache with someone who has done it before.

Another approach would be to look for a local cache in your area known as an "event" cache (this is a special type of cache category so you can search for it). Here you can meet other cachers in the area and ask lots of questions. Many events also include caching activities as part of their gathering. Take a parent and go visit one of these events and meet some people and get your questions answered.

Good luck and have fun learning.

Edited by Lasagna

Woops, forgot to mention im in the uk. Thanks for the relpy though, it helped.

Reading is about 40 miles from london.

Ive found some easier caches that i can have a go at on the way home from school, which is an interesting prospect.

Edited by Lotho

You should really consider purchasing some rechargable NiMH batteries and a charger once you get a GPS unit. If I wasn't using these batteries and charging them myself, I would have spent MUCH more on batteries than I have spent on GPS units.

If you have to spend your own money on batteries, you will quickly begin saving money after just a few weeks.

Edited by YuccaPatrol

No problem ... seems Pennsylvania in the US has many cities named after UK locations (I'm from Lancaster which is near York and Reading). Although, I have also been to Reading and London in the UK.

Anyhow ... might I suggest caches:

Bugs Bottom (GCM3BJ)

ThamesPathSonning (GCGKVT)

The Burghfield TB Hotel / Happy Meal Toy Graveyard (GCN7WZ)

Not sure of their proximity to you, but all look reasonably easy to surmise their location from a satellite photo and have logs or hints that pretty much tell you about where and what you're looking for.

Two of them even have "travel bugs", which you may enjoy retrieving, reading their mission, and then moving on to another cache after you log their tag number on GC.

Can someone name all types of battery in gps please? Batterys that you can buy in local stores, such as petrol stations/gas stations, such as AA, AAA and such.

Most units use AAs. The Garmin Gekos use AAA because of their small size. The Magellan eXplorist series uses proprietary, rechargable LI batteries.

Hey, I got a GPS a few months ago and started geocaching a few months ago. Yesterday I got the book Geocaching for Dummies and it gives loads of web addresses for geocaching, topo maps, other maps, and allot of other stuff too. I've only looked through it a bit so far. Just thought I'd mention it. Since you're new tot eh game the book will probably help you allot.