Garmin 60 Series Auto Mount

As a long time eMap user, I find that the auto mount and power cord arrangement on my new 60Cx to be rather poorly conceived. I had my eMap tucked in behind the steering wheel using the Garmin sticky mount attached to a flat portion of the dash. It was very quick and simple to go from in-car use to portable use and back. I'm just using the beanbag now and find getting the 60Cx in and out of the mount is a struggle, especially with the power cord attached.

The retailer suggested a Ram mount (RAM-B-138-GA12). Has anyone else found a solution? Is the Ram a good idea? Thanks for any input.

(Tried searching for "ram", but didn't know how to get past the 4 character minimum search term)

I'm using a suction cup ram mount for the 60cx. I love it.

I think I got it oringinally at gpscity.com for a magellan.

When I got the Garmin I went to Bass Pro and got the cradle and used the cup and arm.

Bass Pro does have all of the components to put one together.

I didn't like the way the 60 just kind of sat in it so I put the little knob that came with it for the belt holder.

I had to trim the "hole" on the Ram cradle to get it to fit but it's snug and I'm comfortable with it.

I don't think you can go wrong with the ram mount.

I am using a ram mount with a suction cup mount that was originally intended for a satellite radio. It works great.

I used to use the external power cord, but have found that batteries last so darn long that I prefer not to have cords running all over the place if I don't have to. So I just bring an extra set of batteries if I need them.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that the Ram mount chews up the rubber bumps on the 60 series. I have just learned to ignore this but pickier people than myself would be very saddened by this.

Edited by YuccaPatrol

I am using a ram mount with a suction cup mount that was originally intended for a satellite radio. It works great.

I used to use the external power cord, but have found that batteries last so darn long that I prefer not to have cords running all over the place if I don't have to. So I just bring an extra set of batteries if I need them.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that the Ram mount chews up the rubber bumps on the 60 series. I have just learned to ignore this but pickier people than myself would be very saddened by this.

I have had good luck with a vent mount I found on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=34289 . The holder is adjustable and will even secure my 60CSx while in its Garmin protective case. $8.99 + $4.99 shipping is a good deal to me.

In my opinion, auto mounts are Garmin’s biggest downfall. The first 10 or 15 GPSr’s I owned were Magellans. Just snap them in and pop them out. No cables to monkey around with, they all stay with the mount. Now most of my GPSr’s are Garmins. I have to plug in the power cord and USB to my laptop, then very so carefully try to slide it sideways into the mount, try to get the bottom snapped in and finally try to tuck the cables in so I don’t have wires hanging out everywhere. It’s an inconvenience but not enough to give up my 60CSX.

I have the Garmin beanbag mount that came with my 60CS, as well as a Ram suction / ball mount for my truck. The Ram mount is far superior to the Garmin in holding the receiver securely. I don't think either mount manages the cord problem very well, but they're probably doing the best they can with what Garmin gave them to work with.

Cacheoholic,

That is exactly why I would rather switch out a set of batteries more often than deal with plugging and unplugging a DC power cord! :)

Often times I’ll also run on battery power especially if urban caching causing frequent stops. I still use my USB connection to keep Microsoft Streets & Trips centered on my location so I can get Geocache details with one double click. Normally I’ll use a second GPS’r to feed my laptop. Maybe Garmin will install Bluetooth in the next generation to link to laptops and handhelds? Hello…Garmin…anybody home! I’ve got an idea!