Animals

Brett&Citty

We went for a non-caching walk along Riverfront Park Sunday before last. We didn't bring a camera, but we saw the usual suspects, ospreys, Canadian geese, and turtles in the Broad River. We also saw a big (8 foot?) king snake sunning himself on a branch over the river and a muskrat that swam across the canal and started grazing about 20 feet from the busy trail.

The surprising sighting was a 5-foot alligator in the Broad River near the CCC cache. It wasn't a hallucination, several other walkers also saw it and reported it to the rangers. Neither the hikers or the rangers had seen an alligator in that part of the river before.

Edited by ikim & noj

The surprising sighting was a 5-foot alligator in the Broad River near the CCC cache. It wasn't a hallucination, several other walkers also saw it and reported it to the rangers. Neither the hikers or the rangers had seen an alligator in that part of the river before.

Holy smokes, that's cool!! Never would have thought an alligator would be there, but then again they have been up this way in Lake Wylie.

We've seen the usual's....snakes and deer. The cute little green snakes are our favorite to see, we can catch them! :anicute: We've seen king snakes and rat snakes.

The coolest though was while on vacation in Clearwater, Fl last June, we did the caches at Ft. Desoto State Park. While going to one of the caches we saw fins, yes, I said fins, sticking up out of the water. I thought for sure it was a pair of sharks feeding in the canal area. As we walked closer up popped 2 heads, it was dolphins feeding. That was the coolest ever.

At that same cache area we saw an awesome yellow rat snake.

Only a few animals I've encountered.

Had to deal with dogs at 3 caches. Two behind fences, so they couldn't get to me, but was annoying to deal with their barking while I looked for the caches. The third (a very small dog) chased my car down the road as I was leaving a cache site. Was worried I'd hit the little pest.

At a recent cache I had a bird dive bomb me as I tried to look for the cache. Guess I was in his 'territory'.

Always see interesting critters when I go out <_< Heron, turkey vulture, black racer snakes, deer, wild boar, armadillo, land crabs, gopher tortus, etc. It all depends on where I'm caching. I feel lucky with so many different types of places to cache nearby. :( Although I could do without the fire ants and giant spiders :huh:

I wasn't caching when I saw this but it surprised me none the less. A grey fox ran across the road in front of my car as I was heading into work. I actually had to stop (was going slow due to school zone thankfully ) and look cause I said to myself that couldn't have been a fox but sure enough that bushy tail and sleep body are hard to mistake. he was fallowing the swath of mostly nature left alone land under the group of powerlines running through town.

Other then that its been the usual supsects. Ticks, spiders, deer, beaver, armadillos, snakes(poisenous and non), turtles and birds I couldn't even name all of them.