Using Nroute

jhamner

I am new to geocaching and I love it. I have been exploring familiar territories though. I'm ready to get away from my comfort zone. Having said that, I am curious about using nRoute to help guide me to my destination in unfamiliar territory. I guess I should mention that I have an eTrex Legend C. I also have the metroguide and topo software for it.

So on to what I really need to know. I have been playing with nRoute but I haven't figured out how to calculate a turn by turn route to my destination. The route always comes up as the crow flys (straight line). Am I missing something? City select software maybe? Any help is greatly appreciated.

So on to what I really need to know. I have been playing with nRoute but I haven't figured out how to calculate a turn by turn route to my destination. The route always comes up as the crow flys (straight line). Am I missing something? City select software maybe? Any help is greatly appreciated.

When you build your route you need to tell it to use the "Follow Road" option. Even when I am using nRoute I use the gps to build the route. It is one of the options you can enable to have it ask each time if you want to Follow Road, or Off Road. I believe it is in MENU, MENU, SETUP, ROUTING, change to prompted instead of follow or off road.

I don't have my gps right in front of me but that should get you close.

If you create the route in nRoute (and you should since your GPSr doesn't do autorouting), Be sure that a routable map product (MetroGuide) is selected. Then, in the "Route Properties" window, click on the "Recalculate" button before clicking on activate. Recalculate is what tells the program to find the turn-by-turn routing.

Edited by Neo_Geo