Rest In Peace Pittsburgh Transplant

We've lost one of our own today.

A dear friend of many that met him through geocaching.

John Pistor aka Pittsburgh Transplant passed away this morning from cancer. He was in hospice and passed peacefully.

John was very passionate about geocaching, he was not about the numbers but about quality hides and hikes in the woods.

He had many hides that would bring you to beautiful scenic outlooks or take you touring around all the parks of Naples.

He was known in Florida as THE man to call if you wanted to try Heartbreak2 - an 11 mile hike in the swamps near corkscrew preserve. In the last few months several groups have make the hike in his honor - John even donated his walking stick to people to take on the hike so that he could join them in spirit. Recently the cache was renamed by his owner as the Pittsburgh Transplant Trail 2.

0c6860f7-58d3-42a1-91b5-dafd75981bb4.jpg

I am very sad to hear of this loss to the geocaching community. From here in his home town of Pittsburgh, I extend my condolences to his family and friends.

John had about 25 finds logged in the Pittsburgh area. I remember getting watchlist notices from a day last summer when he found most of the caches in one of our nicer county parks. The pace he kept to climb so many of our well-known hills would have worn me out! I remember thinking to myself, "this is a cool geocacher, I'd like to meet him someday." I am sorry I won't have the chance.

It is odd -- just having your name in some of the same logbooks is enough of a connection to make you really feel a loss like this.

I had the pleasure of meeting John once up here in New York. We had done the Where's in a Name Cache and met for coffee a month or so later during his travels. We also searched for a cache in CT together as we were both traveling east. My condolences go out to all the others that knew him.

~Steve

God Bless him and his family! I am just getting started in this hobby\addiction, and still have no finds, or hides, or even a GPSr yet but feel like I have sometihng in common with this man, being a geocacher (in training) and A HUGE Steeler fan. I have lost many family members and know many more friends that are battling this disease that took John away. Rest in Peace Sir, and I am glad you got to see your Steelers, Our Steelers (Pittburgh Fans...theres nothing like 'em) win one more Super Bowl Championship before you left us.

My condolences to John's family and friends