Best Bm Cities?

superpowerdave

Forgive me if this has been covered ...

My wife and I fell out of benchmarking for a while, around 75 total found, and have now gotten to the point where we desire a weekend in a great city to just benchmark and cache. We're interested in the historical aspect so anything in that arena would be great.

Question is, for those of you who have searched in a great number of cities, where was it you had the most fun as well as great success? While I always have fun even when I don't find what I'm looking for, my wife on the other hand likes the find more than the hunt, so success plays an important part.

So, any opinions on the matter?

Forgive me if this has been covered ...

My wife and I fell out of benchmarking for a while, around 75 total found, and have now gotten to the point where we desire a weekend in a great city to just benchmark and cache. We're interested in the historical aspect so anything in that arena would be great.

Question is, for those of you who have searched in a great number of cities, where was it you had the most fun as well as great success? While I always have fun even when I don't find what I'm looking for, my wife on the other hand likes the find more than the hunt, so success plays an important part.

So, any opinions on the matter?

My memory may be failing me, but actually I don't recall this precise question being raised before.

I write this sitting in my office three blocks from the U.S. Capitol, so I may be a bit biased, but Washington certainly is an excellent choice. Its historical value is obvious. There are also an abundant concentration of benchmarks in the city and surrounding jurisdictions.

There are at least three caveats, however. One, because of access restrictions at sites throughout the area, you'll find many benchmarks are off limits. Two, because of growth and development in the area, you'll find many benchmarks have been reconstructed out of existence. Three, because this area is home to several of the most active benchmarkers in the hobby, you'll probably be disappointed if you are looking for a lot of first-to-finds.

If you're driving, DC is about 5-6 hours from you. A somewhat closer option might be the Williamsburg/Norfolk area. Lots of history there, too. Don't have any first-hand benchmark experience there, but it looks to be almost virgin territory compared with D.C. Like the Washington area, though, there are lots of military installations, so some marks will be off limits.

-ArtMan-

One of the regulars here put up some numbers a few months ago giving the number of NGS marks within xx miles of the center of various cities (Boston, NY, Washington, etc.). Anyone remember that? I think Washington had the greatest density of marks. Although at the time I thought it was a little unfair to cities like Boston and NY which had a fair amount of ocean in the target area.

Papa-Bear,

I think that was a Holograph thing. And you are making me angry because it is now IMPOSSIBLE to get an FTF in Manhattan with you around. You are going to make me get permission to go on top of the old Starrett Lehigh building to get the one up there! :unsure:

As for top benchmarking cities, I have hunted in the metropoli of Harrisburg, Lancaster, Reading and Lebanon, PA and wouldn't really suggest any of them.

Oh yeah, you said Great City, so never mind those four.

I have also hunted in Philadelphia, New York and Boston.

Boston is fun. There are a lot of marks there and a lot of history from downtown to the outskirts. I was hampered by having a "family" along, none of whom benchmark, or even want to see another benchmark, but I managed to sneak a bit of hunting in while we were doing other things.

New York is the best city in the country to do anything. It is perfectly safe, there are benchmarks all over the place (a lot of intersection stations though, like spires and flagpoles, so you will look like a total tourist taking pictures of building tops), including some really cool old ones like chiseled squares in Central Park and bolts. Papa-Bear has killed it though if you are an FTF freak. By the same token though, if you like help in your hunt Papa-Bear's logs are wonderful and complete. In fact, he has taken the time to research hundreds of survey marks in NYC, not just the NGS ones and his logs are full of the history of the marks he found, both the PID he is posting on and any others nearby from other surveys. There are 4 survey marks on the NY Public Library for instance, but only two are NGS marks. And right now there is a MAPPING exhibit there. On display are early world maps, lots of NYC maps, and one of the first world globes ever made. And a Gutenburg bible too, which is totally out of context but still cool. Plan to stay in NYC for, oh, about a month...no, year... if you want to see all it has to offer and benchmark too. By the way, I am only talking Manhattan here. The other four boroughs have lots of benchmarks and a lot of color, but I haven't seen enough of Manhattan to get off the island yet!

Philadelphia completely unnerves me, and I say that after spending the late 1970s there. I don't feel safe in most of the neighorhoods, because most of the neighborhoods are not real nice, at least in my view. It does have quite a bit of history to offer in certain sections though--primarily along east Market Street (that big cracked bell for instance--you may have heard of it).

From west to east:

Seattle, WA, good

Portland, OR, great (especially including the Willamette Stone)

Las Vegas, NV - poor in the city (too much new construction), great outside of the city (Hoover Dam, Jean to Nipton, CA/NV border monuments)

Phoenix, AZ - so so (just like Vegas; too much new construction)

Flagstaff, AZ - great

Denver, CO - good

Cleveland, OH - good

Washington, DC - Awesome (can't beat the history, lots of great marks)

If I had one new place to go, it would be DC.

However, New York intrigues me. I never thought I would want to go there except to see the Museum of Natural History, and perhaps take in a play or two. As someone who grew up in a small town, I get a little antsy when I get into cities, and much prefer those nice strings of benchmarks along a lone country road. With the good benchmark hunting in New York, I would be inclined to give it a try.

Like I said in another thread, I like those small towns and the rural areas surrounding them. I've had great luck in:

Preston, ID

Bastrop, LA

Yazoo City, MS

Salisbury, MD

Sea Isle City, NJ

McLean, TX, and,

Tucumcari, NM.

Been to DC many times (I live about 11 miles SW). It is a great place for benchmark hunting (although there are no FTFs left - ArtMan got 'em all). A well-prepared benchmark hunter could get 20+ marks in a day on and near The Mall, and get some pretty good standard sightseeing in at the same time. Unfortunately, although there are dozens and dozens of marks at the White House, there's little likelihood that a hobbyist could gain access.

W

Edited by seventhings

Papa-Bear,

... And you are making me angry because it is now IMPOSSIBLE to get an FTF in Manhattan with you around. You are going to make me get permission to go on top of the old Starrett Lehigh building to get the one up there! :D

You are too kind. Next time you come to town, let me know and we'll go find something new.

New York is the best city in the country to do anything. It is perfectly safe, there are benchmarks all over the place (a lot of intersection stations though, like spires and flagpoles, so you will look like a total tourist taking pictures of building tops), including some really cool old ones like chiseled squares in Central Park and bolts. Papa-Bear has killed it though if you are an FTF freak.

I've more or less finished Manhattan except the odd mark on the Coast Guard Building or the one on the Empire State Building Observation platforn (It's a Not Found anyway) or The Statue of Liberty (Lived in NYC for 40 years and never been to either of those :)).

Now it's the outer Boroughs. Brooklyn looks like the most fun. And Queens realy does s*ck! I spend the afternoon there!

I figure if I get all the accessible marks in the city by the end of July, I'll win. And that's with no car!

Have fun. PM me if you're coming to town.

Papa Bear

Hi, Dave:

Great to see you on the Forum! The group has given you some great suggestions. Let us know if you follow up on any of them. Of course, everything is going to seem "tame" after your Alaska adventures! [grin]

-Paul-

All-

Have heard a lot of Boston comments which is nice, because that's the one city on the east coast that I've really had a desire to go to and haven't yet. My wife and I have talked a lot about loading up the rover and driving north so maybe that will be in our near future.

Am heading to DC this weekend to see the parents but will be a short trip so probably won't get any benchmarking done while we're there (we just had a baby and the grandparents wouldn't take too kindly if we loaded her up in the truck and headed out!)

I've been all over, just haven't done any 'Benchmark trips' like we'd like to. Alaska spoiled us in the fact that there were so many marks/caches within city limits that, while road trips were geographically out of the question, we just didn't need to go anywhere. We did some bits and pieces here and there on our drive out but as the 4,500 miles grew on us we failed to log a number of them.

Yes PFF, things are a bit different here than they were in Alaska. Goldsboro, NC isn't exactly a metropolis. <_<

Not interested in FTFs. Check out my profile, we're still newbies at this. Our benchmarking skills are inadequate to say the least, but we always have fun. I have to look real careful while my wife can drive down the highway and they jump out at her!

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I'm still open to suggestions.

Now it's the outer Boroughs. Brooklyn looks like the most fun. And Queens realy does s*ck! I spend the afternoon there!

Hi PB,

A lot of what is/was in NE Queens is gone, as you and I know (I think we are the only folks hunting out there) - I know where a FTF IS, I just have not been able to get to it - Maybe Sunday - I've got a BUNCH in the Rockaways that I'm going to grab this spring - I have one advantage there - I've become fairly good friends with a local who wants to get into benchmark hunting, so we're going to team up - he remembers a lot of the old, now gone landmarks - I DO hvae to dig up a metal detector for that though - many of them are under mucho sand

Hi PB,

A lot of what is/was in NE Queens is gone, as you and I know (I think we are the only folks hunting out there) - I know where a FTF IS, I just have not been able to get to it - Maybe Sunday - I've got a BUNCH in the Rockaways that I'm going to grab this spring - I have one advantage there - I've become fairly good friends with a local who wants to get into benchmark hunting, so we're going to team up - he remembers a lot of the old, now gone landmarks - I DO hvae to dig up a metal detector for that though - many of them are under mucho sand

Good luck down on the beach. It seems like the older parts of cities (Manhattan & Brooklyn in this case) are more "fertile" bacause there's less development. It was already developed 100 years ago!

Actually I got a FTF in Astoria on Wednesday - KU1411 "N 348". I didn't realize this tillI logged it and I was surprised since it was in such an obvious place - on the abutment of the Hells Gate Railroad bridge.