How Waterproof Is Garmin 60csx

thyuen

Got my unit for about a week now and just took it out for a walk under some moderate rain. Although it says the unit is waterproof to IPX7, I can see the rubber dusts cover at the port openings at the back do not provide adequate sealing especially for the mini usb port. Actually there is water seepage in the openings when I open the dust covers.

Are these usb/serial/mcx ports waterproof on their own or do they rely on the rubber dust cover to protect them from water? Will they rust if they are in contat with water?

Are these usb/serial/mcx ports waterproof on their own or do they rely on the rubber dust cover to protect them from water? Will they rust if they are in contat with water?

I have subjected my 76C (same ports & caps) a few times to very wet conditions with no ill effects. Yes some water did get in under the caps but if you dry them out as soon as possible there should be no problems.

My big concern though is what would have happened if my unit was one of the new "X" series with the micro chip fully exposed under the batteries. One of my incidents was a capsized canoe in fast running water with my 76C in my backpack and fully submerged for about 5 minutes. It just kept on ticking so I left it alone and tried to salvage my camera and FRS radio. Two days later the 76 would not fire up so I opened the battery compartment and to my amazement it was about 1/4 full of water and the batteries starting to corrode and leak. Fortunately there was no damage as a result other than some rust forming on a couple of the battery contacts. Obviously the compartment itself is sealed otherwise I would have had water inside the unit and probably kiss the unit goodbye. I hate to think what would have happened to the micro SD chip and all the contacts if it was an "X" type.

Since then I make sure it's in a waterproof bag while canoeing just in case. No problem with similar leakage when in a rainy condition though.

Olar

The dust covers .... are dust covers. The connectors are sealed into the case. I'd call everything water resistant .... not waterproof. Clean and dry out every connector if the unit is in contact with water. Possibly even place the unit near a dehumidifier to completely dry it out. For geocaching in the rain .... and actually always for me .... my unit is in a Garmin case. There are several different cases available for the unit from different manufacturers. Look at This past thread on case options for info. -_- ImpalaBob

The dust covers .... are dust covers. The connectors are sealed into the case. I'd call everything water resistant .... not waterproof. Clean and dry out every connector if the unit is in contact with water. Possibly even place the unit near a dehumidifier to completely dry it out. For geocaching in the rain .... and actually always for me .... my unit is in a Garmin case. There are several different cases available for the unit from different manufacturers. Look at This past thread on case options for info. -_- ImpalaBob

For fresh water, a thorough drying will suffice. Pull off the dust and battery cover, remove the batteries and let it dry. If you immerse it in salt water, remove the batteries rinse the unit under fresh water and, again, let it dry.

I've dunked my 76CS several times in the Big Wet (Atlantic) with no ill effects. While the 76 is a marine unit, the 60 meets the same waterproof standard, so it should behaive similarly.

Obviously the compartment itself is sealed otherwise I would have had water inside the unit and probably kiss the unit goodbye. I hate to think what would have happened to the micro SD chip and all the contacts if it was an "X" type.

Perhaps not. If the contacts for the microSD are sealed where they enter into the body, then the internals would remain dry. As far as the mem card is concerned, I have read reports of people who have put their mem cards through the wash (in the pocket of their pants) and have been able to retrieve the data afterwards.

GeoBC

I went caching this past weekend in pouring, and noticed no issues. It was really pouring too.

Just for giggles, has anyone been able to compare the battery compartments on a 60c vs a 60cx? It seems I read a post when the X series first came out about the differences on the seal for the battery compartment.

A couple of 60CS units have been reported leaking recently after minor dunkings - I had the opportunity to look inside one and took some photos. There was no sign of where the water came in though but corrosion was evident on the circuit. I now tell customers they may be waterproof when new but after serious usage, consider them to be showerproof only. The link to the photos is on the NZ GPS Society post here.