So Confused

kelhorn

I'm new to the Geocaching thing so for my birthday I asked for a GPS unit. I would like one that does the mapping and turning stuff in my car but one that I can also use for geocaching (so I'm assuming it needs to be portable). My husband came home with one but it had to be plugged into the car to work. It didn't have the option for batteries or charging. I'm looking to spend between 300-500 dollars. Is the

Magellan eXplorist XL GPS or Raymarine RC400 Portable Chartplotter good options for me?

Koikeeper and I each have battery powered (2-AA) hand held Garmin Map60C color display units with Garmin City Select mapping add ins. We have auto aux power plugs for the car when autorouting to the caches. We found 737 caches our first year :ph34r: .... and are quite happy with our units. The new Garmins are Map60Cx or CSx which have newer chip sets and a micro memory card for even more functionality. :ph34r: ImpalaBob

I spent a good amount of time comparing units and actually finding people with them to talk to them about each, not just reading about them on web pages. I decided on the Garmin GPSMAP 60C which is color and does auto routing, plut got the city select software. The unit is great and so far is right on for navigating. The new "X" series from Garmin has removable memory cards for even more storage and is supposed to get better sat reception and accuracy in heavy tree cover, of course it costs more. I am very happy with the 60C and what it does, also very glad that I chose it. Garmin tech support was helpful with answering questions before I even bought something from them and now have even called me back with answers instead of just emails.

The new Garmin eTrex Legend CX and Vista CX are good choices in your price range. Compact, easy to use and great reception. If the expandible memory in these units is not important, you can probably find a good deal on the slightly older Legend C and Vista C as a lot of dealers are clearing them out to make room for the CX models.

You can also find good deals on the Garmin 60C(S) and 76C(S), since the CX models came out. They have plenty of internal memory so the expandible memory of the CX versions is more of a luxury than a necessity.

Raymarine RC400 Portable Chartplotter

Never heard of it. I'm not aware of any geocachers who use it. I'd advise sticking with the big 3, Garmin, Magellan or Lowrance. The Raymarine seems to be more of a marine oriented unit.

The new Garmin eTrex Legend CX and Vista CX are good choices in your price range. Compact, easy to use and great reception. If the expandible memory in these units is not important, you can probably find a good deal on the slightly older Legend C and Vista C as a lot of dealers are clearing them out to make room for the CX models.

You can also find good deals on the Garmin 60C(S) and 76C(S), since the CX models came out. They have plenty of internal memory so the expandible memory of the CX versions is more of a luxury than a necessity.

Raymarine RC400 Portable Chartplotter

Never heard of it. I'm not aware of any geocachers who use it. I'd advise sticking with the big 3, Garmin, Magellan or Lowrance. The Raymarine seems to be more of a marine oriented unit.

Don't miss the fact that you need the City Select or City Navigator software to get turn by turn directions (auto-routing) with the Vista series. Legend won't do auto-routing. I think the software is included with the 60C(S) but an add-on option for the eTrex. I use a Vista C for exactly the type of stuff you mention and there's even a nice car kit for dashboard mounting available as an option.

Don't miss the fact that you need the City Select or City Navigator software to get turn by turn directions (auto-routing) with the Vista series. Legend won't do auto-routing. I think the software is included with the 60C(S) but an add-on option for the eTrex. I use a Vista C for exactly the type of stuff you mention and there's even a nice car kit for dashboard mounting available as an option.

Actually the Legend and Vista don't do autorouting. The Legend C, Legend CX, Vista C and Vista CX do.

Is the Magellan eXplorist XL GPS or Raymarine RC400 Portable Chartplotter good options for me?

I am not familiar with with either of these units specifically, but I will echo the suggestion for the Garmin GPS MAP60C. I found a NIB 60C on ebay for $300. It will do autorouting with the optional City Select software, and has a geocaching mode.

I have manually set up waypoints and routes and it does a great job at that. I have not played with the autorouting yet--waiting for the Mac software announced by Garmin to be released this year.

I got the Garmin 60C off of the internet for $300 (came with waypoint management software) and the navigation pack for $130 which included the city select software, cigarette adapter and 2 car mounts (one sticks to the dash and the other you can move in and out). The auto nav works great and is very easy. Haved used the 60C for both nav and geocache now and love it. It doesn't have a compass or barometric altimeter that is on the 60CS which costs a little more.

I got the Garmin 60C off of the internet for $300 (came with waypoint management software) and the navigation pack for $130 which included the city select software, cigarette adapter and 2 car mounts (one sticks to the dash and the other you can move in and out). The auto nav works great and is very easy. Haved used the 60C for both nav and geocache now and love it. It doesn't have a compass or barometric altimeter that is on the 60CS which costs a little more.

You should be able to get the 60C these days for less than that. Heck, Offroute.com is selling the 60CX for $359 right now.

I'm new to the Geocaching thing so for my birthday I asked for a GPS unit. I would like one that does the mapping and turning stuff in my car but one that I can also use for geocaching (so I'm assuming it needs to be portable). My husband came home with one but it had to be plugged into the car to work. It didn't have the option for batteries or charging. I'm looking to spend between 300-500 dollars. Is the

Magellan eXplorist XL GPS or Raymarine RC400 Portable Chartplotter good options for me?

I just go thte Garmin GPSmap 60CSx I love it got 20 cache in my first week

I have a 60cs and love it. From what I have read the new 60CSX is even better. I use my GPS every day for auto routing and for geocaching. I formerly owned a Magellan which was a very good unit, but it didn't do auto routing. I never knew what I had missed until I got this GPS, now I can't do without it.

I would recommend the vista cx. I have te unit, and I love it. Despite the patch antenna it gets exceptional reception even in cloudy weather. And as for the expandible memory, it's no lkuxury. I fill up 50 megs loading up just maps of New england. If you really want alot of detailed maps, go expandible. Then you can get up to a gig. (abyte)