Has Anyone Ever Come Across This Type Of Bm?

Astro_D

After doing several caches today, we decided to go BM hunting instead. We came across this BM: OLO205.

We were wondering if we did indeed find this BM or not. The white splotch on the photo just below the BM location was not put there by us. (Another BM on this building was also 'chalked' by someone). The coords and the description match. This is the first time we have come across an 'odd' BM.

We posted a note on GC.com because we wanted to defer to the more experienced BM hunters out there whether we found it. If this is indeed it, how could it have been 'not found'?

Any advice/help greatly appreciated.

Katrina

Edited by AstroD-Team

Chiseled squares are commonly used, as are vertically mounted disks; this marks looks to be a hybrid of the two. As long as there is a usable vertical line or shelf, in this case 'the highest point on the... brick', the described item will work as a mark. If the goto description put you in the correct spot, then you've most likely found it.

From a surveying standpoint, this mark seems a bit sketchy. It would seem to me that there could be another, more easily definable and equally stable position for a benchmark. It's hard to tell with no images of the surrounding area. However it could also be that the mark was intended to be on the building, possibly to check for settling of the building itself. But even that would seem to have better definition, like a nail or bolt driven into the grout perhaps. Either way, without knowing a bit more of the history of the mark, its original purpose, and the surroundings, I probably wouldn't use it unless I absolutely had to.

The only item I would question is the location of the chalk mark. The published description calls it to be on 'the highest point... of the 4th brick up from the ground level...'. The chalk mark looks to me to be on the 3rd brick up.

- Kewaneh

The only item I would question is the location of the chalk mark. The published description calls it to be on 'the highest point... of the 4th brick up from the ground level...'. The chalk mark looks to me to be on the 3rd brick up.

- Kewaneh

The other BM on this building was also chalked in the same manner - just below the chiseled square. I have no idea who did this, but it seems they wanted to mark it, without actually marring the BM itself.

We are still scratching our heads about this one. It seems so......dumb?

Katrina

This is typical of what the US Lake Survey used. I am near Lake Superior and a lot of USLS marks around here and very few are survey disc's. They would use door step corners, well caps or anything of a permanent nature.

As a Survey Tech for the DOT we used this type of mark all the time. Cost effective and no work.

Its not odd in my opinion..it was chalked by someone who recently used the mark so the rodman would know what to hold the rod on.

Here is one I know of close by

AC6139 DESIGNATION - 909 9025 15

AC6139 HISTORY - 1926 MONUMENTED USE

AC6139 HISTORY - 19960725 GOOD NGS

AC6139 HISTORY - 20030617 GOOD GEOCAC

THE DATUM POINT IS THE EXTREME END OF THE CONCRETE SILL OF THE NORTH DOOR OF THE MOST NORTHERLY OF 3 HOUSES,

btw

did you know that mark has not been found several times?

I guess the USPSQD was not the one who put the chalk there, hey?

OL0205 HISTORY - 19950819 MARK NOT FOUND USPSQD

OL0205 HISTORY - 20020310 MARK NOT FOUND USPSQD

OL0205 HISTORY - 20030320 MARK NOT FOUND USPSQD

Edited by Z15