Cachemate

It certainly does free up memory and isn't difficult at all as long as you have a card reader/writer.

The steps I take are:

• create file folder on card called CacheMate
  • delete all previous caches/waypoints from CacheMate on your PDA
  • filter your cache lists in GSAK and export to CacheMate - I write my four .pdb files to my Desktop
  • drop my four files to the CacheMate folder on my card
  • insert card in PDA and start Cachemate. It will detect new files and prompt you to place each one in the database and category of your choice.

Note that you could export the .pdb files directly to your card. I find however that "cmconvert" processes a lot faster if I go to my desktop first.

When Cachemate finds the new files on your card it will copy some basic info to your PDA internal memory but the bulk of the data remains on the card. With my four files completed I end up with Cachemate using 1300K of internal memory while the data left on the card is 12Meg.

Hope that all helps,

Cheers, Olar

It certainly does free up memory and isn't difficult at all as long as you have a card reader/writer.

The steps I take are:

• create file folder on card called CacheMate
  • delete all previous caches/waypoints from CacheMate on your PDA
  • filter your cache lists in GSAK and export to CacheMate - I write my four .pdb files to my Desktop
  • drop my four files to the CacheMate folder on my card
  • insert card in PDA and start Cachemate. It will detect new files and prompt you to place each one in the database and category of your choice.

Note that you could export the .pdb files directly to your card. I find however that "cmconvert" processes a lot faster if I go to my desktop first.

When Cachemate finds the new files on your card it will copy some basic info to your PDA internal memory but the bulk of the data remains on the card. With my four files completed I end up with Cachemate using 1300K of internal memory while the data left on the card is 12Meg.

Hope that all helps,

Cheers, Olar

Thanks that sounds exactly like what I wanted to do. I'll give it a try later today. Again thanks.

The steps I take are:

[*]filter your cache lists in GSAK and export to CacheMate - I write my four .pdb files to my Desktop

Hope that all helps,

Cheers, Olar

How do you write to your desktop? Whenever I do the export it automatically saves it to the Palm Install Tool and I can't figure out how to change that.

Thanks

Heres a shot of my GSAK export window. The destination file goes in the top field "PDB file to create". If you uncheck the "Install to Palm after conversion" box then the Palm install tool will not open.

Olar

Doh!

thanks.

I did get it to work however. I created the folder "Cachemate" on the SD card, then in the install tool I changed the destination to the SD card. Did the hotsync and 3321 records in the database and the Cachemate is only taking up 861k of space. I'm satisfied with that.

[*]filter your cache lists in GSAK and export to CacheMate - I write my four .pdb files to my Desktop

[*]drop my four files to the CacheMate folder on my card

Okay I got everything but the filter and 4 files. Do you filter for certain types of Caches? What does filtering and splitting the caches into 4 groups help you do better in cachemate?

I have three groups of waypoints in GSAK that I'd like to keep separate in Cachemate. LocalCaches for Geocaching nearby, one for my personal contacts and travel (like tmy daughter's home in NJ), and finally a Geocache group for when I travel.

It would be nice to segregate them in Cachemate so I don't have to scroll through my Caribbean Caches when I am looking for one in the next town,

I filter in GSAK and export .pdb files for each of these categories:

• Cache owned by me
  • Caches I have found
  • Caches I have not found
  • Caches I have not found but sorted by the cache owner name

In Cachemate I have a 5th category "Found today" that is empty until I check a cache as "Found" in the Log page of CM. It then moves automatically from my not found category to the found today category. That feature is very helpful at the end of a caching day when sitting down at my PC to record the finds in GSAK and log in to gc.com.

Olar