I Need Advice

imfrog2002

I'm JUST starting in GeoCaching, I joined a while ago, but I'm finally able to afford a GPS and I have a few questions...

1. What's a good GPS unit to buy, if you are a newbie on a tight budget?

2. What's the average time it takes to find a GPS once you get to the area?

3. What's Paperless Caching?

4. Can you re-use a Travel Bug if you own it, and it finished a journey and came back to you?

:D I need all the help that I can get!

I'm JUST starting in GeoCaching, I joined a while ago, but I'm finally able to afford a GPS and I have a few questions...

1. What's a good GPS unit to buy, if you are a newbie on a tight budget?

2. What's the average time it takes to find a GPS once you get to the area?

3. What's Paperless Caching?

4. Can you re-use a Travel Bug if you own it, and it finished a journey and came back to you?

:D I need all the help that I can get!

Here are some answers to your questions:

1. A good unit for a complete noob with no map needs is the base model garmin etrex (sub $100). This is a fine unit that will get you close to the cache. However, if you want an easier interface and more storage, you could shell out an extra 40-70$ for an etrex venture or legend.

2. The average time depends on ow well the cache is hidden. It cacn take anywhere to 5 mintues to an hour or two.

3. Paperless cching is using a palm pilot or other PDA to store detailed cache information as opposed to printing out the cache pagee.

4. Yes you can reuse a travel bug by giving it a new mission.

Welcome to the game.

1) I am quite happy with my Etrex Legend.

Dicks has a bundle package with some good accessories. $230

2) Finding a cache can take as little as one minute or as long as...forever.

It depends on where and how it is hidden.

3) Paper less caching is done with a PDA or laptop. You don't need to print all those cache pages.

There are more advantages but that is a whole nother thread.

4) Yes, you can give a travel bug a new mission.

1) I bought a new Garmin Etrex Yellow for $90 three years ago. I still use it and it has always been enough for me. No frills like maps or anything, just the basics. Used ones go for around $60 on Ebay. I did buy a cigarette lighter/PC adapter for it from Ebay for $11 so I can upload waypoints instead of enetering them by hand, and not use up batteries when in the car.

2) It all depends on the difficulty of the cache and your experience. An especially common type of cache in a Wal Mart parking lot (a lot of people despise these and call them "lame", they are not my favorite, but they ARE still a cache) had me stumped for 45 minutes on my first find like that. Nowadays it will take about 10 seconds to get out of the car and walk 6 feet.

Some caches are so obvious you can just glance around and spot it or the hiding place (experience helps a lot here), sometimes you look for an hour and log a DNF. Average for me is probably about 5 minutes.

3) Paperless caching refers to caching without carrying print-outs of the cache listins with you. This usually involves a Palm device or Pocket PC. I just got into it with a used Palm III off Ebay for $8.75.

4) Travel bugs do not expire. If you give it a specific goal, you can change that goal whenever you like, before or after acomplishing the first goal. A lot of TBs I have seen have no specific goal other than to move from cache to cache.

5) Welcome to the addiction.

If you need help, go to an event in your area, or post in your regional forum to see if someone is willing to team up with you to show you the ropes. But I would try it out by myself first.

I'm new to geocache and need help. When I wrote the direction, see below, I did the first line OK. Now, what is UTM? Where in the GPS I need to write that? And last, but not least, can anyone explain to me the third line? Thanks

N 40° 04.963 W 082° 55.372

UTM: 17T E 336057 N 4438709

NW 10.8mi from your home coordinates.

I'm new to geocache and need help. When I wrote the direction, see below, I did the first line OK. Now, what is UTM? Where in the GPS I need to write that? And last, but not least, can anyone explain to me the third line? Thanks

N 40° 04.963 W 082° 55.372

UTM: 17T E 336057 N 4438709

NW 10.8mi from your home coordinates.

The first line is the location of the cache in latitute and longitude.

The second line is the locaiton of the cache in UTM. They are different ways to display the same thing. The location of the cache. UTM uses a grid system and makes coordinate math easier. Other than that though you can ignore it for most geocaching purposes.

The last one is a direction (bearing) and distance to the cache. 10.8 miles from your house to the North West.