Garmin Etrex Legend C

Would this be something that those of you who own this model have experienced?

I started by scouring my owner’s manual, then to Garmin's website - FAQ's. Nothing I could find referencing this behavior / screen message. This was a bit frustrating :mad:. I tried to Google this......nothing :) . Recently I discovered this forum and have found it very useful, and am hoping I can get to the bottom of this. Here is an example of what I mean -

It seems that most times our GPSr works like it should. If we take a dozen caches with us to hunt, 10 work as they should, at least in my mind. The other 2 seem whacked. The example will be called the “Crazy Cache”. We’ll be caching along with 3 or 4 finds behind us when all of a sudden it happens - I’ll go Find / Waypoints / Crazy / Go To, and I'll get the dreaded Recalculating……Recalculating……Recalculating message. It does not seem to matter whether it’s cloudy or not. Funny….the next cache will work fine. I’m starting to wonder if it’s me or my GPSr? :mad:

Anyone’s thoughts, suggestions would be most welcomed at this point.

Well I might evertually experience this. I would check that the coordinates are correct. They should be valid versions.

Then check to see if you have the latest software installed on your Legend C. These device can hang out in warehouses for months, when new software comes out, they need to be updated.

I once made a wrong turn while following a route with my Vista C and it went into recalculating and never came back. I had to pop the batteries to restart it. As this happened only once I'm not too worried but I did download and install the 2.51 Beta software as that is one of the symptoms that I have heard it addresses.

What is the version of the software that you are running?

The only time my Vista C has done that is when I have "hidden" the City Select maps to see the Topo maps and then asked it to "Follow Road" when I am miles from the nearest road or highway included on the base map.

I have had to turn it off, then back on. Then I go to the Map Menu to "Show" City Select again, if I need the road navigation.

I have to try to remember to "show" the City Select maps as soon as I get back in my car after hiking.

I once made a wrong turn while following a route with my Vista C and it went into recalculating and never came back. I had to pop the batteries to restart it. As this happened only once I'm not too worried but I did download and install the 2.51 Beta software as that is one of the symptoms that I have heard it addresses.

What is the version of the software that you are running?

I downloaded and ran this beta update. Went out today with the family, and did not have this problem. I also noticed that it locked onto the satellites much quicker than before. Hopefully this will be the answer. I thank you for the tip! :mad: