Really annoyed

tomandtom

okay heres the deal, I've had my GPS for a few days with the intention of using it for geocaching. none such luck. reason being is i dont know one thing about the gps, i try to teach myself by using the manual, and it just makes me want to thrust it on the ground and destroy it. the manual is sooo confusing!!! the GPS is brand new, so its me not the GPS.

i have a very old model Magellan GPS 300.

it has arrow buttons, mark, nav, enter, goto, and menu buttons, if that helps...

could someone PLEASE just tell me an easy step by step process for using the GPS in entering and finding a cache somewheres??? please do not assume i know a thing about them, cause i dont,

thanks very much!!!!!

Edited by flashmollison

Move the cursor somewhere (just press one of the arrow buttons in any direction on the map screen). Press Mark. Scroll down and press enter when the coords are highlighted. Enter the coords you want in with the arrow buttons (up and down to change the number, left and right to change the character selected), then press enter. Scroll down and press save. When it brings you back to the map screen, press Goto. Find the waypoint you just made (look for the name) and select it, and hit enter. Follow the trail it gives you and when you get as close to zero on the distance meter as you can, start looking around in about a 30-40 foot radius for whatever the cache is you're trying to find.

Keep in mind that the GPSr will give you the most direct route, i.e. it will not bring you along roads and trails. Don't always just go straight there because that usually doesn't work. Good luck!

That was probably the longest post I've ever had.

P.S. Don't hold me to this. This is the way to do it on my Magellan eXplorist 200, and since it's the same brand, I assume it will still be the same way.

Move the cursor somewhere (just press one of the arrow buttons in any direction on the map screen). Press Mark. Scroll down and press enter when the coords are highlighted. Enter the coords you want in with the arrow buttons (up and down to change the number, left and right to change the character selected), then press enter. Scroll down and press save. When it brings you back to the map screen, press Goto. Find the waypoint you just made (look for the name) and select it, and hit enter. Follow the trail it gives you and when you get as close to zero on the distance meter as you can, start looking around in about a 30-40 foot radius for whatever the cache is you're trying to find.

Keep in mind that the GPSr will give you the most direct route, i.e. it will not bring you along roads and trails. Don't always just go straight there because that usually doesn't work. Good luck!

That was probably the longest post I've ever had.

P.S. Don't hold me to this. This is the way to do it on my Magellan eXplorist 200, and since it's the same brand, I assume it will still be the same way.

ok thanks that kinda helps but my GPS is weird like i did that for a local cache (maybe 5 miles away tops) and it says for distance im 86.4 miles away. how do i change this???

maybe what im asking is how do i change my "start from" coordinates. im not sure, like i said im new at it

Edited by flashmollison

For what it's worth the manuals really do suck. You already got help for your GPS. When I got mine I was able to download waypoints from the computer before I ever figured out how to enter one directly on the GPS...

just gonna add that when i start it up, i get coordinates that read 47.00.00 and 121.00.00 now i know im not at that spot so do i need to edit that??? if i do how?

For what it's worth the manuals really do suck. You already got help for your GPS. When I got mine I was able to download waypoints from the computer before I ever figured out how to enter one directly on the GPS...

just gonna add that when i start it up, i get coordinates that read 47.00.00 and 121.00.00 now i know im not at that spot so do i need to edit that??? if i do how?

For most GPSs you "Mark" your locatoin then edit the waypoint the GPS creates to match the coordinates you want. Someone else will need to tell you how on a Magellan.

Totem Lake's suggestion is a good one. It would take 10,000 words to explain what they can show you at their meeting in a few min.

We have our monthly meeting happening on the 25th. If it isn't too far for you to drive on a Saturday come on down! I'm sure you'll run into somebody that can help you with your GPS.

...and if they can't help you, thrust them onto the ground and destroy them. ;)

Just make sure you buy me a drink first. ;)

In fact, if you do make it, ask for me. I missed the last meeting but I intend to make this one.

Edited by TotemLake

okay heres the deal, I've had my GPS for a few days with the intention of using it for geocaching. none such luck. reason being is i dont know one thing about the gps, i try to teach myself by using the manual, and it just makes me want to thrust it on the ground and destroy it. the manual is sooo confusing!!! the GPS is brand new, so its me not the GPS.

i have a very old model Magellan GPS 300.

it has arrow buttons, mark, nav, enter, goto, and menu buttons, if that helps...

could someone PLEASE just tell me an easy step by step process for using the GPS in entering and finding a cache somewheres??? please do not assume i know a thing about them, cause i dont,

thanks very much!!!!!

Howdy. I see you're in Bremerton. You've got a lot of very exerpeinced cachers in the Bremerton/Port Orchard area (my brother being one of them). I'm sure more than 1 of them would be happy to give you a hand. I'd suggest seeking one of them out either via the WSGA, local ache logs, or, even better, an upcoming GeoEvent (and there are some coming up soon).

Mark a point, get the cursor to flash on the coordinates, change the numbers one by one and getting them to read the right numbers for the coordinates. Then click "GOTO".

I'm not sure specifically how to do in on the 300s, but almost every GPS from the little yellow etrex to my GPS76S, to the Sportraks I've seen others using do it pretty much the same generic way.