Metroguide Canada Route To 60csx

I made a route in Mapsource (Metroguide canada 4) the way I liked it forcing it through a few added waypoints. Uploaded route and waypoints to GPSMAP60csx, Found the route there went /Follow route/ the 1st thing it does it recalculates the route completely to its liking. Am I missing something here?? ANy help would be appreciated

I made a route in Mapsource (Metroguide canada 4) the way I liked it forcing it through a few added waypoints. Uploaded route and waypoints to GPSMAP60csx, Found the route there went /Follow route/ the 1st thing it does it recalculates the route completely to its liking. Am I missing something here?? ANy help would be appreciated

That is how Garmin autorouting works. It only uploads the points on your route, not the actual crooked line. The routing program within the GPS unit itself calculates the route when you ask it to. If you have routable maps (AFAIK Metroguide Ca. is not), then it will use the same routing data that you have on the computer. If you do not have routable maps, then it reverts to the routable basemap.

That is how Garmin autorouting works. It only uploads the points on your route, not the actual crooked line. The routing program within the GPS unit itself calculates the route when you ask it to. If you have routable maps (AFAIK Metroguide Ca. is not), then it will use the same routing data that you have on the computer. If you do not have routable maps, then it reverts to the routable basemap.

One little correction to above is Metroguide Canada 4 does autoroute. It was a gift to Canada a few years back when City Select only covered major cities in Canada. I'm sure we will not see another routable MG Canada again since CS now covers most of the country and quite well.

Mealzzzz, do you have the corresponding MG 4 maps downloaded to your handheld? If not, then like CTD points out, your 60 will create an autoroute using the basemap and the result is usually a whole new adventure in getting from point A to B.

Cheers, Olar

One little correction to above is Metroguide Canada 4 does autoroute. It was a gift to Canada a few years back when City Select only covered major cities in Canada. I'm sure we will not see another routable MG Canada again since CS now covers most of the country and quite well.

Mealzzzz, do you have the corresponding MG 4 maps downloaded to your handheld? If not, then like CTD points out, your 60 will create an autoroute using the basemap and the result is usually a whole new adventure in getting from point A to B.

Cheers, Olar

Thanks. I didn't think it did autorouting because MG USA does not. I stand corrected. One more thing to add, when you upload maps make sure the "Include Route calculation data" box is check on the Maps tab in MapSource. Otherwise, your GPS will not have the data to build a route using the detailed maps and will revert to the basemap.

Download IMG2gps (freeware)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mdipol/img2gps

in Img2gps you upload the maps from c:garmin\metroguide canada (or program files)

mark about 40 maps and upload them to the gps

When you can't see them you uploaded too much. Then take 35 maps or less.

Do not watch the memomy (like 60mb) you can upload much less.

Metroguide Europe v4 does autoroute this way, so why not metroguide Canada.

Download IMG2gps (freeware)

in Img2gps you upload the maps from c:garmin\metroguide canada (or program files)

mark about 40 maps and upload them to the gps

When you can't see them you uploaded too much. Then take 35 maps or less.

Do not watch the memomy (like 60mb) you can upload much less.

Metroguide Europe v4 does autoroute this way, so why not metroguide Canada.

No, don't do this since there's no point to it.

As stated above it has the disadvantage of not letting you load as many maps. It also messes up some of the search functions that MetroGuide-Canada would otherwise support.

And, since MetroGuide-Canada v4 *already supports auto-routing* there is no benefit in using Img2gps or SendMap to load it instead of doing it the normal way with MapSource.

Thank you guys. Very helpful. I've found that I missed one map along the route. Selecting and uploading all maps helped. I also found that once I upload the route made in mapsource if I select it in /routes/ folder and go /MAP/ it is shown as an approximation of a route - a similar geomertic shape which may go off road through water etc, but once I select /Navigate/ the GPSMAP60csx "recalculates" it building proper route using metroguide roads which explicily repeats my mapsource creation. Not sure if its a bug or 'feature' lol