Map Sourse Topo

timk54

Thanks to Neo Geo I now have the Topo map west on my hard drive and can download info to my Vista CX.

The question is when I select the box drawing tool and put a box around the area I want to send to my GPSR The smaller drawn box disappears and the larger box outlined in yellow turns a shade of red.What exactly gets downloaded? I'm thinking of getting navigator for the drives to the claims. Does navigator list dirt roads and trails? the wife and son and I are going to find our first cache today Wish us luck.

thanks again for the help you people give so freely.

TimK

When I zoom out and grab the map tool, I can "draw" a rectangle around the area I want included in the mapset. It selects all the individual maps in that rectangle. By holding down the Shift key, I can deselect any I don't want.

When you send those maps to the GPSr, it erases the previous maps on the unit.

Therefore, if you want to put both City Select (Navigator) and Topo on the unit, you have to choose one set, then switch to the other maps on your PC and choose maps from that set so you send both Topo and City Select maps at the same time . . . at least that is the way it works on my Vista C, on which I have both Topo and City Select installed. I can Show or Hide whichever one is pertinent at the time. :rolleyes:

Thanks to Neo Geo I now have the Topo map west on my hard drive and can download info to my Vista CX.

The question is when I select the box drawing tool and put a box around the area I want to send to my GPSR The smaller drawn box disappears and the larger box outlined in yellow turns a shade of red.What exactly gets downloaded? I'm thinking of getting navigator for the drives to the claims. Does navigator list dirt roads and trails? the wife and son and I are going to find our first cache today Wish us luck.

TimK

The area shaded in red is what will get downloaded. Garmin maps are made up of many smaller maps. Each one represented by the various boxes on the map. You select what to send to the GPS by selecting the boxes. You cannot select only part of a box to send. You can select individual boxes one at a time, or use the selection tool to highlight a bunch at a time.

Took some getting used to for me, since I came from magellan and Mapsend. Not saying one system is better than the other. Just takes getting used too.

I have found that navigator does not list usable trail info. If you live near a national park, you may want to consider the Topo 24K National Park Map software from Garmin. Another option is to look for someone who has a custom Garmin map of trails. Also, Garmin Topo has got some trail info in it, but not that great IMHO.

If you are inclined to get really techinical, you can make your own transparent map of trails from publicly available data on the net. Then, when enabled, said map will show you the trails along with whatever garmin map you have loaded. But, this is really beyond the scope of this discussion. Just wanted to let you know that there is always a way, just depends how much of a techie you are.

Good luck caching.

Edited by scottandginny

TimK

The area shaded in red is what will get downloaded. Garmin maps are made up of many smaller maps. Each one represented by the various boxes on the map. You select what to send to the GPS by selecting the boxes. You cannot select only part of a box to send. You can select individual boxes one at a time, or use the selection tool to highlight a bunch at a time.

Took some getting used to for me, since I came from magellan and Mapsend. Not saying one system is better than the other. Just takes getting used too.

I have found that navigator does not list usable trail info. If you live near a national park, you may want to consider the Topo 24K National Park Map software from Garmin. Another option is to look for someone who has a custom Garmin map of trails. Also, Garmin Topo has got some trail info in it, but not that great IMHO.

If you are inclined to get really techinical, you can make your own transparent map of trails from publicly available data on the net. Then, when enabled, said map will show you the trails along with whatever garmin map you have loaded. But, this is really beyond the scope of this discussion. Just wanted to let you know that there is always a way, just depends how much of a techie you are.

Good luck caching.

Thanks for the reply

The wife and son and I found our first cash today. the Garmin vista Cz tool\ks us to 0 feet and there it was. Now we are hooked.

Timk

TimK

First of all, the VistaCx only comes with a 32MB card. The map segments in Navigator are huge and grossly inefficient - some of them are over 24MB. That means that if you're navigating near a border area, you may not have enough memory space for two map segments. If you bought a larger card - say 128MB or more, then this is not so much an issue. If possible, see if you can get City SELECT. The map segments are much smaller which allows you more precise control over what maps you want to load. The current version of City Select is version 7, and it will be discontinued after that. City Navigator will then be the replacement product (Garmin assures us that the new version will have smaller map segments). When City Navigator 8 comes out, you would be entitled to buy the City Navigator update rather than having to buy the stand-alone City Navigator at full price.

For more help with MapSource, CLICK HERE for Garmin's FREE MapSource tutorial program.

To see the detail included in a MapSource product, CLICK HERE - then select the product you're interested in. In the upper right corner of the page, look for the MapSource Map Viewer and click on the link below it. Click on an area you're interested in viewing and keep clicking to zoom down. I think you'll find a lot of dirt roads, but probably not many trails (if any at all).