Route Planning

I guess I mean, is there a way to do it without having to use Pocket Queries, or GSAK, or other mapping software? As in, a webpage on which you specify starting and ending zip codes or something, and it will just spit out a .gpx file for you? Even maps really aren't necessary for this task. I'm just trying to figure out if there is anything similar to this before I start working on it

You can only get the .gpx files from this site, and only if you are a Premium Member.

You can use Google Earth to narrow down your search along a route, but I have such a slow dialup connection, I do most of my preparation for cache hunts offline because it takes forever for even the GC.com maps to load at 24K. :wub:

Edited by Miragee

I guess I mean, is there a way to do it without having to use Pocket Queries, or GSAK, or other mapping software? As in, a webpage on which you specify starting and ending zip codes or something, and it will just spit out a .gpx file for you? Even maps really aren't necessary for this task. I'm just trying to figure out if there is anything similar to this before I start working on it

The short answer: no.

Lots of complexities involved here and that generally means expensive. While numerous websites can offer this functionality to gc.com, it is generally prohibitively expensive to implement.

However, follow the above links and with a bit of patience it is not too hard to come up with the solution. You will need to be a premium member for the .gpx files.

If you are thinking about creating a web scraper program to grab the coordinates needed - please don't try it. That is a clear violation of the TOU argreement and will get you and your IP banned. It has happened to others. TPTB take it seriously.