Garmin Map 60 Csx

Hey Everyone,

I had a Magellan SporTrak Pro for just over 3 years until back in December when someone decided they would rather own it and broke into my truck and stole it. :) Fortunately, I have a friend who is a Garmin employee and was able to get me a fantastic deal on a Garmin Map 60 CSx. I never thought I would leave Magellan, but given the price of replacement for the Pro that I had, versus what I got this new Garmin for, it was pretty much a no brainer. B)

To get down to business, I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. It was delivered this morning (and now I'm at work dreaming about going home and tearing the box to shreds!) and I only checked to make sure all of the goods were actually packed.

So my question (at last): Are there any secrets to this GPS that I should know about? Because of the great deal I got, I went ahead and got the autonav kit and the topo software too. I read the post about how to get the Garmin map software to install to the hard drive and will definitley be doing so. I guess I'm asking if there are any other little secrets or updates that have been found that aren't normally listed in the manual? I obviously don't know how many cachers out there have this GPS, but I'm hoping there are at least a few who will be able to help me get going on this new model.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any tips or advice! :)B)B)

I have the 60Cx, and similar to you, I switched from a Magellan Sportrak Map. HUGE improvement. I would say you should download updates for mapsource and new firmware for the GPSr, as both for me were out of date by the time I received them. Other than that, make sure you turn WAAS on in the setup menu (its default is off)...but then again, there is a lot of stuff flying around on here about the poor sirf implementation for WAAS.

Hello NorthFaceHiker, I just recently bought my first GPS and purchased the GPSmap 60CSx. Some say overkill for a first GPS but that's okay - I love this thing.

I found a website that you might be interested in:

FAQ on Garmin & other GPS receivers

It doesn't list the GPSmap 60CSx specifically but the other "60/76" models are very similar and I've found it very helpful. I'm probably one of a few that found the product manual helpful as well.

I'm sorry to hear about your Magellan, but I think that you will really like this unit!

Not as much as this...............

http://rapidshare.de/files/14771279/60_cs_...in_one.doc.html

scroll down, FREE, scroll down, wait 30 seconden, fill in the number and download

very popular among dutch and belgium geocachers (in dutch)

but with some english words if you don't understand the screenshots

many links

The germans have a way to change to more languages then english, francais, spanish and portugees

http://hws.webhosting.gs/

Started with the english translation but got the feeling you all wanted to learn dutch........

greatz

Thanks to all for the feedback. I've been playing with it for most of the day and I absolutely love it. The screen is amazing, and the ability to customize and add additional screens is phenomenal. The City Nav software is quite detailed, meaning I'll need a 2GB Transflash card to fit the entire US on it (1.58 GB). I guess I'll be waiting a while for that one.

Well, off to do more reading. Thanks again!