Small Containers

Im in need of those Decon kit containers. Ive got a couple of places that need caches, but an ammo can is inappropriate, and Im not into tupperware. I am open to ideas, Im not a closed minded needy person; its just tupperware... I dont know where we went wrong.

So before I stray too far away, where do you get the Decon kit containers, Ive hit many Army Surplus places and eBay; maybe its a timing thing. Maybe its me.

So there it is.

Just be aware that they are not always waterproof. I find there is a great degree of variation in how snugly the lid fits.

Also, sand off or sscrape off the ominous warning on the lid. I found one recently right next to a popular hiking trail with the warning intact. Image a hiker coming along and accidently finding it and reading that "Caution, caustic material..." on the lid

Just be aware that they are not always waterproof. I find there is a great degree of variation in how snugly the lid fits.

Also, sand off or sscrape off the ominous warning on the lid. I found one recently right next to a popular hiking trail with the warning intact. Image a hiker coming along and accidently finding it and reading that "Caution, caustic material..." on the lid

I try to peal most of the plastic portion of the sticker off, and then use my wire wheel, on my grinder, to brush off the "snot"

I have had good success using firm pressure with my thumb, but it takes to long to get the snot off. I have never tried any chemical strippers.

Edited by Kit Fox

Hi Brian,

We met at the "Fire and Ice" event in December. Thanks again for the Volunteer Coin.

Good tip on the defacing of the container. The Long Path doesnt need what appears to be caustic device.

Thanks Kit Fox, your place has a better price, but noy by too much, so Im not too upset.

... then use my wire wheel, on my grinder, to brush off the "snot"

I have had good success using firm pressure with my thumb, but it takes to long to get the snot off. I have never tried any chemical strippers.

Any citrus cleaner will do the trick. Save your thumbs for more important work.

I also get them at Army Surplus Warehouse which is linked by another poster above. $1.79 each. I recently purchased a batch of 20 to split with another person. The total came to $43.25 including shipping which brought the price up to $2.1625 each.

I use the wire brush on my bench grinder to remove the lettering on the top and I don't bother to remove the label. I just paint the thing with flat camo paint from Walmart and the label problem is solved. I've haven't had any trouble with moisture as long as all 4 corners are securely snapped shut. I put a notice inside the lid - printed in bold red printing and covered with waterproof tape - saying to please make sure all 4 corners are snapped when replacing the lid. No problems so far and one is in a pretty "moist" place and there has been a lot of rain. The cache is still dry inside.

The best small container I have ever found has the following features:

Heavy gage aluminum, strong enough to stand on, O-ring seal, twist on lid, totally waterproof, same interior volume as a decon container. I have one on the ground, and one hanging in a tree (using a brass/stainless fishing snap-swivel, no hole needs to be made) They take camo paint well. The best thing is the price at 6 for $10!!

Major Surplus German Army container

45bfb203-a51b-41c9-9ec7-ef7e7abf1fc5.jpg

Heavy gage aluminum, strong enough to stand on, O-ring seal, twist on lid, totally waterproof, same interior volume as a decon container. I have one on the ground, and one hanging in a tree (using a brass/stainless fishing snap-swivel, no hole needs to be made) They take camo paint well. The best thing is the price at 6 for $10!!

45bfb203-a51b-41c9-9ec7-ef7e7abf1fc5.jpg

I agree...they are handy little gagets! Major Army Surplus.

HPIM0956.jpg

That's a neat little container EScout. How did you add a snap swivel without adding a hole? More pictures??? :rolleyes:

JohnTee

Segerguy: Good camo job. That will be very hard to find.

JohnTee: The large SnapSwivel will fit in one of the 3 holes on the side. It hangs sideways and still is very waterproof. The lid closing is kind of a bayonet type-- push it on and turn it about 3/4 inch. This seals it on its rubber ring. An advantage is no threads to get dirty. The 3 pegs on the side are also non-ferrous/iron so nothing can rust.

I saw a great container yesterday......a rubberized flashlight with the batteries removed. It had been comoed and the lens painted flat black. Almost impossible to see at the base of a tree with vines, leaves , etc. Roomy enough for small swag and dry.

Im going to "copy" and make one just like it...matching the camo with the hidey place.

Chuck :rolleyes:

Segerguy: Good camo job. That will be very hard to find.

JohnTee: The large SnapSwivel will fit in one of the 3 holes on the side. It hangs sideways and still is very waterproof. The lid closing is kind of a bayonet type-- push it on and turn it about 3/4 inch. This seals it on its rubber ring. An advantage is no threads to get dirty. The 3 pegs on the side are also non-ferrous/iron so nothing can rust.

Escout,

Thanks, it should be a fun one to hide and fun to try and find. I have a spot in mind, I'll deploy it in a few weeks. Here is a picture of it on a test hide in the side yard. Its at the left of the base of the bush.

testround.jpg