What Do I Need With Etrex Legend Cx To Start?

mike91911

I'm getting ready to purchase a Garmin Etrex Legend Cx. According to specs it comes with:

"Standard map coverage includes

Oceans, rivers, and lakes (greater than 30 sq. miles)

Principal cities and some smaller cities and towns

Major interstates and principal highways

Political boundaries (state and international borders)

Major Airports

A. United States - In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:

Lakes greater than 5 square miles

A database of exits for the Federal Interstate highway system. This includes many businesses within about 1/4 mile of the exit, including: restaurants, diesel/gas, hotels/lodging, overnight RV parking, dumps, campgrounds, truckstops, medical facilities, shopping and outlet malls, ATMs, and many more attractions."

What, if anything do i need to start geocaching? Can I do it with just what's included or do I need to purchase topo or mapping software also?

Mike

You can geocache with it out of the box.

Eventually you will want to buy mapping software to get the full benefit of your unit. The Legend CX does autorouting (turn by turn instructions to an address or location) but the feature is only useful if you have the detailed mapping software (City Select or City Navigator). CS and CN also have a database of over 5 million services and businesses so if you want to know where the nearest gas station, hospital, mall, restaurant, coffee shop, hotel, pub, post office, etc... is your GPS will give you turn by turn directions. This database is far, far more comprehensive than the one that comes with the unit.

If you are a frequent hiker, hunter or do most of you geocaching in the woods, you might also consider getting Mapsource Topo. It gives you terrain features you won't see in CS or CN, so you can tell if there is a stream, ravine, hill, cliff, lake or swamp between you and the cache. Topo doesn't do autorouting however and doesn't have the database of services and businesses that CN and CS have.

I run both kinds on my GPS and switch between them as needed. City Select for navigating around town and Topo for hiking and geocaching.

Moving this the the appropriate forum

Edited by briansnat