Slow P Qs And Late Instanotify

2Wheel'in

I'm with AOL and started this thread on the UK forum.

I'm having a nightmare getting my GC.com emails through, some arrive immediately and others are taking up to 48 hours to arrive. This apparently is not affecting everybody, so is it the server, or is Groundspeak having problems sending to certain members?

I'm not lloking to proportion blame on anyone, I just want my emails. :anicute::huh:

I'm with AOL and started this thread on the UK forum.

I'm having a nightmare getting my GC.com emails through, some arrive immediately and others are taking up to 48 hours to arrive. This apparently is not affecting everybody, so is it the server, or is Groundspeak having problems sending to certain members?

I'm not lloking to proportion blame on anyone, I just want my emails. :anicute::huh:

Pretty much the same here...TB movements seem to arrive immediately, InstaNotify and most PQs arrive late (one generated this morning arrived immediately, while I'm still waiting for one that generated yesterday - the 26th). Also never received new cache notifications of 2 caches placed over the last 3 days. I've clipped and pasted the routing details of some of the delayed messages in a Tech Support Request message to AOL...will see what the results of that are.

Regards,

Bill

If you search back through the forums, you'd find that AOL is infamous for throttling incoming emails from geocaching.com. Apparently a lot of emails are sent to AOL members and they throttle them "to keep from overloading their servers." Just be glad they don't reject them all as spam :)

Edited by Lil Devil

If you search back through the forums, you'd find that AOL is infamous for throttling incoming emails from geocaching.com. Apparently a lot of emails are sent to AOL members and they throttle them "to keep from overloading their servers." Just be glad they don't reject them all as spam :)

Si...I did look back through similar postings in the forum...I queried AOL and they (naturally) assured me that they are not "throttling" mail. I have other e-mail accounts that I might try dumping a PQ to, or listing as POC for Groundspeak e-mails. Funny though...I receive TB movement messages immediately, but watched cache notification messages, Insta-Notify, and PQs are delayed...they're all from the same ISP...so ya got me! :D

Regards,

Bill

Yeah, AOL is throttling us again. There are thousands of emails in queue for AOL. Right now, it looks like the average delivery time per email is on the order of between 12-16 hours.

If you're not an AOL user and you are having mail delivery delay issues, please send me a PM and I'll look into it for you.

:smile: Elias

Thank you all for the replies...dealing with AOL on this issue has been, how should I say - "taxing". AOL's practice of "throttling" high volume mailers is very frustrating (especially in this case), and probably not the best method for reducing SPAM. It may cost them dearly in the long run. I no longer have delayed PQs or Insta-Notify messages...opened a Gmail account and now use that exclusively for Groundspeak/Geocaching.com communications.

Regards,

Bill

I have 99 more invites for anyone that needs a gmail account and is an AOL user.

The thing that annoys me about AOL's approach to email is that they don't take into account legitimate high-volume emailers like us who are sending out weekly requested emails. The idea of taxing us to send requested emails as a "solution" is rotten. Though I see it as a useful way to combat legitimate spammers. It's not as if we change IP addresses weekly - they could easily spot us out of a sea of SPAM with little difficulty.

Based on the throttling that goes on now I can only come to the conclusion that their facility for transporting emails to their customers is so poor that they have to come up with uniquely poor solutions like throttling and email taxes. They should focus more on their customer needs.

/waits for Groundspeak criticism :anibad: