Our Very First Cache Find

johnzissler

:D:D Well we did it. We had a go at the Desert Rats cache put on by the Gatlin Gang. First reason is because we live close, and second reason was because we kinda knew where to go without the Garmin. There were enough clues on the cache page and on the Multi Cache questions to enable us to find it. When we did find it we put an Egyptian Pound note in the cache in respect for the Desert Rats who were initially formed in Egypt to help out with defending the Suez canal. I just wish I was more adept at using the GPS than I am. I must have read the manual 50 times and I still dont know how to use the durn thing. I have asked for some help locally but no-one has come forward. I will have to read it 51 times i reckon. Ann (my wife) is tugging at my car keys asking when can we do the next one........ :D I think maybe the WARREN or maybe WEETING will be next although I think WEETING had been paused for renovation. Anyway I just felt as though I should write something about our first find. It kind of gives you a bit of a rush when you grab hold of that box....Its a great feeling, I guess we are hooked. Garmin or no Garmin :D We are thinking of putting our own cache up for grabs, anything we should know about folks. Or are we maybe rushing it a little.

Regards from the Red Squadron (John & Ann, Norfolk)

Firstly - welcome to this VERY mad hobby....

Personally I'd throw away the mnual, and the GPS and get out while you can!! :D

Only joking!! you sound as hooked as everyone else already, and I'm sure you'll have many more successful caching trips.

As far as setting your 1st cache - I'd wait a while - get to see what others have done - how they've hidden them, where - what kind of places etc...

I was all for rushing into doing our 1st cache, but we waited til we had around 30 finds, and looking back, knowing what I know now, it could have been a lot better than it was - you really do gain lots of valuable experience for sertting your own caches by doing others!

Above all... just have fun.. that's what it's about in the end!

Edited by HazelS

Congratulations, and as HazelS said welcome to The Mad House!

You do realise that you can never leave....

You have sold your soul to GC.com...they own you and all your free time and time thats not really free...

..not to mention a huge chunk of your employers time and consumables, family holidays also now belong to GC.com. :D

Lucky for you then that it's all great fun. :D:D

You've passed your first milestone good luck with your next, double figures I expect. Then you've got your 50th to aim for then 100 and so on...

Always remember it's not about the numbers.....well it is, but it isn't....maybe it is ...it can be if you let it..... numbers arn't everything.....are they? :D

It'll certainly get you out of the house though....

..in the dark , in the rain, in the cold, chasing coins jeeps TB's etc

Then when your back home you can sit in front of a screen for hours and hours.....

...sure beats telly, just sitting infront of the box for hours and hours.....not convincing that one eh?

It is fun, it is fun, it is fun......honest it is....keep telling yourself that when you're wading through chest high nettles or even better crashing through brambles in summer. :D:D

You will enjoy it, can't explain why but if you're hooked now just wait....

It only gets better...worse...more rediculous. :D

Cheers

Dave

I think the Mars Bars have summed geocaching up quite nicely, you have described us to a T however don't forget the sleepless nights when you can't find one or the sleepless nights waiting for the next caching trip. :D Good luck with your caching, there's no looking back now :D

NO NO NO !!!

I never have trouble sleeping!

In fact some of the best caches I've found have been in my dreams!! :D:D:D

My biggest problem has always been getting out of bed in the morning......

....mind you the wife knew there was a problem when I started getting up at 6am on Saturday mornings last summer to get out and bag a couple of caches before junior soccer at 10am. :D:D:D:D:D

Cheers

Dave

Well done John. The wife, our two children and I attempted our first Geocache this morning (Just Deserts 2 - Return of the Shark). We arrived home after 3 hours to post, sadly, a DNF, although it would appear that our failure was due to the cache having being stolen rather than our poor searching. Although the discovery of the (probable) Muggle intervention cheered us up a good deal, we were far from downhearted and indeed are planning one or two more local expeditions in the next few days. And we do know that we have got the hang of using the GPS aswell.

Take care,

Steve.

Edited by Eco-sheep