Help On Having A Coin Made

GroundClutter

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find a thread that address it directly.

I have a few questions and I'm hoping someone will help me out.

I'm planning on having my own coins made.

1) If you want them to be trackable on geocaching.com, do you have to order them from a specific place?

2) Is it best to have them made through geocoinstore.com?

3) I notice that the geocoin store has an option of allowing other people to buy your coins, thus reducing your overall cost as a designer. Does this make the most sense for someone who doesn't have a lot of money?

In a nutshell, I don't have a lot of money to play with on this, and I'm looking for a reliable place, with the best cost (go figure)

Your experiences would be greatly appreciated!

ps...I know NOTHING about having coins made. I got lost with all those posts about personal icons etc... don't know what any of that means. :lol:

You are sounding a bit confused there. lol Not to worry, that's normal if you haven't done this before.

FIrst off... If you dont' have a lot of money to play with then I would suggest not making them trackable. Tracking on GC.com adds about $1.50 a coin to the price. If it's a nicely designed coin people will buy or trade for it anyway. If you do want it to be trackable then most of the manufacturers can do it for you.

There are several manufacturers that will help you out. Oakcoins & Coins and Pins are just a couple. Whoever you get is a valuable source of information and will aid you with your design, choice of metal, etc, etc.

Places like the geocoinstore handle sales for people who are not interested in doing it themselves, do not have the time or maybe are just too confused by the whole process. Some people do it all themselves.

What is your purpose in creating the coin? Are you a collector? If you are then it might be more worthwhile to make up the coin and soak up the cost as you will get it back almost double in trades. However if cash is a problem then sales would probably be the only option.

You will undoubtedly get many different opinions on your questions so just take it all with a grain of salt. I would suggest that you contact a couple of the coin manufacturers and ask your questions to them as they will have a pretty good idea of what you have to do and how much it will cost you.

Thanks very much for your reply! Yup, there sure are a lot of options. :P

I'm just interested in trading/dropping them in caches as a signature item for now. I'm not really into collecting. I did that with police patches for a while. Now I have about a thousand of them that I'm looking to sell. :lol:

I'll take my time in coming up with a design that everyone simply HAS to have. :P And will shop around locally for a good deal. Have to try to support the local guys ya know.

Thanks again for your help!

You know I'll want one of your coins! It'd be a nice memento of the time we spent together a few summers ago. Caching of course! I don't care if it is trackable or not. Oddly, if you're going to be placing them in caches then trackability is only a factor if you want to see the coins' travel history. Trackable numbers are really only used to enhance the tradeability of coins with people who want the icons.

Of course most coins' history will consist of the cache you placed it in and the cacher that takes it and keeps it (be flattered - it saves on angst).

Edited by pdxmarathonman