Logging Tb's

over the last few weeks i have noticed that tbs are being logged in to caches for the mileage. but they are not always left in the cache. is it okay to carry a tb around for a few days logging it in to each cache visited untill such time as its finaly left in a cache? i have two ways of thought as if the bug has actually visited the cache it would be the true mileage, but also should it not only be logged were it is dropped off??

a confused LMN

If someone had my bug and was taking it on a holiday I would want them to log it into every cache it visited. My bugs are meant to travel, not sit waiting for the next cacher to move it to the next closest cache.

Good point, I've never thought of it that way.

For the past two weeks I did have two bugs that I tried to drop off, but the caches where too small or already full. So I guess I could have logged them for the mileage. :lol:

We picked up a TB in London, brought it home to Yorkshire and then across to Amsterdam to leave it there on a day trip. We only found micros, webcams and virtuals in Amsterdam so we ended up bringing it back. I logged it into and out of a couple of caches to show that it had been on this journey before leaving it in a cache in Yorkshire. It seemed a shame not to log the journey just because there was nowhere to leave it.

I would like people carrying my TB's to do the same rather than it seem they havent moved at all.

I had a TB that was meant to go to Austria. And I was going to Austria skiing. I didn't think there was much chance of getting near a cache as there isn't one for 20 miles and that takes a 4 hour walk in summer but I took the TB anyway and took some pics to show it had been skiing.

SO now it's back in London and will have to resume its journey.

If someone had my bug and was taking it on a holiday I would want them to log it into every cache it visited. My bugs are meant to travel.

Edit. removed possible angst

But isn't this just logging the current bug holder's jouney and not the bug's, if the bug is not being deposited. The situation mentioned skiiing in austria and not being dropped as the caches are too sparce, or if the cahes are too small, i can understand.

If it were my bug i would only want to know where the bug stopped as part of it's journey, not particulary somebody having it in their inventory and just 'logging' all the caches they find until they decide to or find a suitable place to drop it. It seems to me it would get a false picture of the travelling and stops it made...

In my opinion!

It seems to me it would get a false picture of the travelling and stops it made...

In my opinion!

That's cool. I do think that if the bug actually visited the cache even though it wasn't dropped the travel record would be accurate. It's not that common to have someone log a bug through a LOT of caches, it would probably be too much work.

If I am dragging someone's bug through a cache, dipping as it's called, I make sure to say something interesting, some sort of story relating either to the bug or something that happened along the way. If I'm just adding distance and nothing else to help it towards it's goal, and I don't say or do anything worth reading then I'm just wasting everybody's time.

(Well, at least I hope I log something worth reading!)

Edited by BlueDeuce

It seems to me it would get a false picture of the travelling and stops it made...

In my opinion!

That's cool. I do think that if the bug actually visited the cache even though it wasn't dropped the travel record would be accurate. It's not that common to have someone log a bug through a LOT of caches, it would probably be too much work.

If I am dragging someone's bug through a cache, dipping as it's called, I make sure to say something interesting, some sort of story relating either to the bug or something that happened along the way. If I'm just adding distance and nothing else to help it towards it's goal, and I don't say anything worth reading then I'm just wasting everybody's time.

(Well, at least I hope I log something worth reading!)

I understand you're point completely. What I think I have a problem with is that; unless a pic is taken or, as you say, a story told, the bug could be sitting in a house while a cacher goes out and 'dips' the bug in and out of caches, without the bug ever being there! maybe it doesn't happen and I'm just being a peasimist :)