Tom Tom

karlwinnick

Ah, Tom Tom. Had a chance to tinker with my boss's Tom Tom 300 for awhile (I think the 700 is just a higher end version of that). Though I'm far from an expert on it, I didn't see an easy way to do what you ask. The Tom Tom is really designed for car/travel use, it's strengths are voice autorouting, and finding your way on the road.

However, I certainly envy the satellite reception of that unit! And as such it probably works much better in tree-covered woods than many units geared towards hiking, etc. :P

Actually, you've been Markwell'd: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=118599. That link should help you much.

Keep in mind that the importance of downloading waypoints, etc. depends on how much caching you do. If you do less than say one cache/week, you will probably be fine with manual entry as long as you are really careful about your coordinates.

Good luck and enjoy! :)

Edited by hairymon

Karl,

There is a UK capability to generate cache waypoints at geocacheuk. Fill out the search form and create a list. Then download a file in .OV2 format (TomTom format) and use the TomTom USB and explorer to drop all the contents (including cache graphics bitmaps) into your TomTom MAP directory. Then go into the points of interest list and select geocaches.

You can use the same approach for other waypoints (eg Chancellor's tax cameras at pocketgps.com).

It's easier than it sounds but if you get stuck then mail me through my profile.

Hi I have just joined geocache. I have atom tom 700. is it possable to upload the cache coordinates to my tom tom. some one said it is but I don't know how

any help out there please?

cheers to all, hopiong to enjoy caching.

karl Winnick Littleborough Lancs

There are multiple programs that will create an tomtom ov2 file from a *.gpx file which you can then load into tomtom. The same directory as the maps you are using. Among these programs are GPSBabel, POIConverter, etc.. Cachemate for the pocket pc now has a plugin that will do it. Of course that won't do you any good unless you are using the ppc version of tomtom. :D

Edited by SiFi

Karl,

There is a UK capability to generate cache waypoints at geocacheuk. Fill out the search form and create a list. Then download a file in .OV2 format (TomTom format) and use the TomTom USB and explorer to drop all the contents (including cache graphics bitmaps) into your TomTom MAP directory. Then go into the points of interest list and select geocaches.

You can use the same approach for other waypoints (eg Chancellor's tax cameras at pocketgps.com).

It's easier than it sounds but if you get stuck then mail me through my profile.

thanks dave. tried this and it works.

still got a bit of a problem inthat tom tom 700 doesn't allow navigasting to coordinates. oh well can't have everything. thanks again for your help cheers Karl

Karl,

thanks dave. tried this and it works.

still got a bit of a problem inthat tom tom 700 doesn't allow navigasting to coordinates. oh well can't have everything. thanks again for your help cheers Karl

That was kind of my point in my earlier post, it only seems to want to navigate to addresses. Really a shame, it's got the kind of reception that someone hiking in deep woods could use. :wub: Good luck, cheers and enjoy!

Edited by hairymon