Lowrance Expedition Battery Test

synergicity

I have a Lowrance Expedition C. I love it. Here is the first battery test I did.

Batteries: Brand new PowerEX 2500 mah, charged in a Maha MH-C204F charger. These batteries will probably improve as they go through a few discharge/recharge cycles, but these are new and all the tests will be on new charged once PowerEX 2500's.

GPS settings: Backlight on, compass on, altimeter on, WAAS on, 1 Gb card loaded, was in the window at my office, average of 8 satellites, often locked on WAAS (PRN 122 which is Garmin number 35?), sleep mode off.

Results: 11 hours 2 minutes (actually at 10 hours 52 minutes the backlight turned off and the low battery warning sounded, so the last 10 minutes was with the backlight off).

------

Next test: exactly the same as above but with backlight off. I will report tomorrow how it did.

Sorry Airmapper, but I figure Lowrance deserves a fair shake on these boards. I am having such a blast with this GPSR after upgrading from the Sportrak Map that I can hardly contain myself. I have gone out bushwhacking the last two days just to see where my tracks end up on Google Earth. And the display and the satellite lock on this unit are just phenomenal. Not to mention the MapCreate software compared to the Magellan Topo I had before. Night and day difference. Did I mention I am pleased with my purchase? Heh.

I'll report back as soon as this thing shuts down with the backlight off.

PLEASE, I can't take much more! Every time you post about your Expedition C I want one more!

I'll keep an eye on this thread, I'd like to know the battery duration with backlight off, from what you have already tested, it appears the color screen isn't eating all that much.

Sounds great but I hope you aren't making a "chalk and cheese" comparison with a "night and day" conclusion??????

What version of Mapsend Topo v's Mapcreate?

I see you are trying to compare an Sportrack Map with an Expedition C!!!!

These GPSr are not really comparable, and you should have really chosen a explorist x00, or a GarminABCD!!!

As the explorist is as old as the hills and the expedition is.......well, not quite old tech!!!

Now did I mention that my Lowrance GlobalMapper is not quite as effective as my Meridian Color!!! :laughing:

:rolleyes:

I think that the comparisons I am making aren't the "meat" of my posts. They are more the "wow, what a difference a few years makes," sort of thing. It isn't really a comparison but instead more a look at my new GPS and what it can do. I guess I felt that was clear in what I had written. Certainly I was never so stupid as to assume that my 3 year old Sportrak map is all that Magellan has to offer.

My Mapsend Topo is the version I got 3 years ago, patched and updated as Magellan allowed.

Again, I'm not really comparing and contrasting.

P.S. The Expedition is still running at the 12 hour mark.

Sounds great but I hope you aren't making a "chalk and cheese" comparison with a "night and day" conclusion??????

What version of Mapsend Topo v's Mapcreate?

I see you are trying to compare an Sportrack Map with an Expedition C!!!!

These GPSr are not really comparable, and you should have really chosen a explorist x00, or a GarminABCD!!!

As the explorist is as old as the hills and the expedition is.......well, not quite old tech!!!

Now did I mention that my Lowrance GlobalMapper is not quite as effective as my Meridian Color!!! :huh:

:D

The Expedition is definitely on my wishlist. After hearing your tests and real-world use, plus what I already know about Lowrance, I figure it's what I'll get when it's time to upgrade. I already have all the mapping hardware and software from my AirMap (MC 6.3 and SD reader.) About how much for the unit itself. (I'm thinking $270-$350???)

Second Battery Test

Batteries: Brand new PowerEX 2500 mah, charged in a Maha MH-C204F charger. These batteries will probably improve as they go through a few discharge/recharge cycles, but these are new and all the tests will be on new charged once PowerEX 2500's.

GPS settings: Backlight off, compass on, altimeter on, WAAS on, 1 Gb card loaded, overnight was on window sill at home, average of 5-6 satellites, then in my office window like the first test, sleep mode off.

Results: 14 hours 23 minutes. I wasn't there to see it shut off but the track had 5175 points collected one every 10 seconds.

Edit to add that the screen settings were:

- contrast: center position

- brightness: center position

- display mode: normal

- light delay: Continuous

and that sounds were off in both tests.

Edited by synergicity

Well I just got one of these fancy beasts today at a fishing and hunting trade show. Pretty impressive. I want to get the map create software. do I have to get THEIR sd cards and readers? My printer has a sd card reader. If I just go buy my own card could I use the sd reader in my printer?

Brad

PS It says that I can listed to MP3's Ok now here is the head phone jack??? it talks about it in the manual but I cant find the bloody thing.

Edited by Daxcor

The Mapcreate software requires the reader, or at least that's what they say. Most cards should work. Check for a thread by Lee Rimer on how to get around their 5 card limit.

I have no idea where to plug in headphones. Could it be the little hole on the front bottom which I assumed was the mic? Hmmm. Oh, maybe you need an adapter to plug into the bottom which has an input for a headphone jack? I bet that's it. We have to buy an adapter.

Well I just got one of these fancy beasts today at a fishing and hunting trade show. Pretty impressive. I want to get the map create software. do I have to get THEIR sd cards and readers? My printer has a sd card reader. If I just go buy my own card could I use the sd reader in my printer?

Brad

PS It says that I can listed to MP3's Ok now here is the head phone jack??? it talks about it in the manual but I cant find the bloody thing.