Gps Hat Anyone?

TetrAmigos

Our team uses a GPSr + PDA combo with Mapopolis, BeeLineGPS, and Cachemate. It's a small combo to carry with the PDA in an aluminum hardcase and the GPSr resting on the open side of the case--however it can be tricky to maneuver around. We aren't going to purchase a dedicated unit anytime soon, so I began brainstorming on ways to make caching easier.

We use a Holux GR-230 bluetooth GPSr, and it's size and construction make a great caching fit. Here's a screenshot:

GR-230.jpg

Now if I could find a hat that could fit this little unit inside so we don't have to physically carry it anymore, that would be IDEAL. Does a hat like this exist? How about a lanyard designed to hold it?

Edited by Trace Amigos

Not sure of the size but the Tilly hat has a pocket in the top that holds my external antenna very well. Before that I put a piece of velcro on the bill of a baseball type cap and used that. If you carry a pack you might be able to fasten on a short pole that would extend above your head and secure the GPS head to that. Good luck. Dick, W7WT

I use a Holux GPSlim 236. I picked up a leather case for an Ericsson T226/T237 phone and a couple adjustments I have a nice GPS case with a clip on it. I can clip it to my coat, my backpack strap or--for maximum goofiness--the bill of my hat. Here's a picture of me givin' a tree the ol' turn your branch and cough test. Note the hat:

da0b4ffd-ca3a-43ca-9281-c2d42a9057a8.jpg

Sure it's goofy, but you get great signal (about 8 foot). Truth is, I get pretty decent signal when I leave it in my pocket too.

Here's an article I wrote about using the Bluetooth GPS. It sure is handy. I hardly ever bother with my eTrex any more.

Bret

What type of case would you recommend for a larger GPSr? Did that case have a clear plastic window?

Yeah, it has a plastic window. You can see pictures of the case in the article I referenced.

Take your GPS to your local cellular phone dealer and play around with the phone cases. Most of them come in snap apart clam shells so you can try them out. I definitely recommend you get one with the metal clip as opposed to the plastic swivel clip.

Bret