Request: Threaded Replies

johndmann

I'd like to see the ability to reply to a log entry. Currently there are only two choices - to write a note in the log for a cache, and hope that the user either comes back and sees it or is subscribed; or two: call up the user's info page and send an inter-site e-mail to them.

It would be nice to have a link under each log entry where you can "reply" to the logging user. Doing so would either flag something on their view of the gc.com page - maybe a "You have replies" in the corner or something - or send them an e-mail just as if I had gone to their profile and sent a message that way.

I'd be willing to clarify if this description is a little rusty...

Well, it would in a little way - but not overly so. I wouldn't thread them on the cache page itself - just a text note at the bottom next to "view log entry on a separate page" that says "3 replies" or whatever. Then you click through to view the log entry to see the replies. Keep them off of the cache page itself.

It would allow me, as a cache owner, to respond to a log entry and ask further questions or whatever I need to do. Maybe only alow the cache owner and that particular log entry owner to reply? That level of ownership sounds good to me. Far too often I am forced to open a second browser window with the message box to the user in question, and then copy over what they said so that I can reply to it. Without being able to quote the user's log entry, many of them do not know what I'm talking about until I explain. It would save cache owners a lot of effort and time.

I suppose I could settle for a cache owner visible only link that basically says "send pm to this user" and a check box for "quote log text". It's just a pain to have to copy the text manually every time.

Hmmm, I have to agree with The Leprechauns, I don't personally care for the idea either. Although I can see why some folks might like it, I would discourage the idea. It is already quite easy to copy (ctrl-c) a log entry and simply paste (ctrl-v) it into the contact link on the geocachers profile page. I find most forums to be kinda ugly and cumbersome and wouldn't welcome anything similar to that on a cache page.

Did you read my alternative suggestion? Any thoughts on having such a link for the cache owner only? No one would be able to view the replies other than the person you respond to. This clears up any ugliness. Non-owners of the cache would not even know the link is there.

Just to change:

1. Highlight Text

2. Right click>Copy/Ctrl-C/Edit>Copy

3. Click on username

4. Click on send message

5. Right click>Paste/Ctrl-V/Edit>Paste

Into:

1. Click Reply

Edited by johndmann

I did read it, or more precisely I MISREAD it. :ph34r: Thanks for clearing up your idea, I was just a bit slow on the uptake.

Something as simple as a reply link I would have no issue with. I would strongly object to anything approaching a forum-type dialogue on a cache-page, but your reply-button idea seems completely benign and would probably be useful to a lot of folks. Especially if it would only be visible to the cache owner and the specific log-poster.

Log-poster???

:huh:

Thanks for the clarification!

Edited by Team Snorkasaurus

Especially if it would only be visible to the cache owner and the specific log-poster.

I wouldn't even let the log poster see the link, personally, unless you were going to add the replies to the cache page itself.

Option 1) Link for anyone to reply to any log entry. Another user may ask a question of the log poster about something they said, for example. Log replies shown either collapsed on the cache page or only on the log entry's full view page. (when clicking the view on separate page link)

Option 2) Link for cache owner and log poster to reply. Replies only visible when viewing the log entry on a separate page. (If you click the link on the log itself)

Option 3) Link for cache owner ONLY so that they may reply directly to e-mail for the log poster to read what they have to say. Log entry will be auto-quoted, or a checkbox will be present for quote/no-quote. Log replies will NOT be visible on any pages.

Now, I'd love for at least Option 3 to exist. Having Option 2 would be nice, but not necessary. Option 1 no one seems to like lol.

Actually, I kind of like the mini-forum idea, if done correctly. Maybe a Javascript link to expand the replies to a log, so they're not immediately visible. IMDB allows people to post comments on any movie's page, for example, although I don't particularly like their implementation of it.

There are plenty of times when I've wanted to make a public comment related to someone's log, but wasn't able to because I didn't want to clutter up the log page with posted notes. What I wanted to say was related to the cache, though.

Edited by jeffk42

From some other threads I've seen, using the cache logs as a "mini-forum" would be a breeding ground for flame fests. The idea of making a link to contact someone from the cache page is cool, as I think discussions about a cache and it's logs needs to be done over private E-mail.

One more thing to consider is these "mini-forums" will likely need to be moderated in some way, putting more work on the volunteers.

(Edit: fix typos)

Edited by Airmapper