Etrex Legend Cx

Milbank

Nope. The Transflash card only holds maps. There is a way to use the POI loader to load cache info as points of interest, discussed here.

Darn, I use the gps to mark waypoints when I'm working.

Is the limit still 500 on the Legend Cx or is it 1000 now? I could not find this info anyplace on the garmin site.

Thanks,

Could a firmware upgrade allow waypoints on the micro-SD card? I wondered if that is even *possible*.

Certainly possible, but I don't think it's probable. Garmin has always kept memory cards separate for map storage on previous units like the eMap, 276/376/396/etc., and various StreetPilots. And in addition to firmware changes on the unit it would probably require MapSource changes since MapSource currently starts each map download by erasing everything previously loaded on the card. People wouldn't be too happy to find all their waypoints gone when they just wanted to add some maps.

For units that accept the custom POI files that seems like a nice alternative and offers better associated notes. But AFAIK you can't mark the POIs as found or modify them in the field the way you can with waypoints.

Could a firmware upgrade allow waypoints on the micro-SD card? I wondered if that is even *possible*.

Certainly possible, but I don't think it's probable. Garmin has always kept memory cards separate for map storage on previous units like the eMap, 276/376/396/etc., and various StreetPilots. And in addition to firmware changes on the unit it would probably require MapSource changes since MapSource currently starts each map download by erasing everything previously loaded on the card. People wouldn't be too happy to find all their waypoints gone when they just wanted to add some maps.

For units that accept the custom POI files that seems like a nice alternative and offers better associated notes. But AFAIK you can't mark the POIs as found or modify them in the field the way you can with waypoints.

SO let me try and work though this in my head, never having owned a GPS before - you could load your waypoints etc. in the main memory (24 megs on the legend cx?) and load a huge chunk of maps on the micro-SD card if you got the 512, but these maps would not have waypoints i.e. cache locations stored where the gps would direct you to them.

What can be done with the maps is directions to stored Points Of Interest, just not, specifically, geocaches, nor can you mark the POI's 'found' like you can waypoints.

So -

The maps aren't as useful for geocaching as they would be with waypoints, but are still quite useful for directions i.e. finding that restaurant in Asheville on XYZ street.

The number of waypoints you can store in the on-board memory is still presumed to be 500 at a time?

And the number of POI's on the micro-SD memory - is there a limit to how many of those you can store?

Does it depend on the size of the micro-SD storage?

I have been caching 'old school' for the past month with a borrowed Magellin GPS 315. So this matter of waypoints etc. is still a mystery to me!

Couple things here:

Custom POI still shows up after Maps are reloaded on the X-series.

Another thing, is that you CAN save a custom POI as a regular waypoint, as you can any POI, like GAS STATIONS, and you can select the OPEN Treasure Chest as the Waypoint symbol, when you save, so yes this is very convenient to have the ability to save from a Custom POI, as a regular waypoint, and be able to edit the notes field of the new waypoint, and ive done this before with the Map60Cx.

-

Geoff

Edited by GOT GPS?