Gps Question

Scifi Man

I was looking at different GPS units and noticed that a few come with a built in hard drive, i was wondering how durable these hard drives are since they get shaken around quite a bit when running in a car? i wanted to get a GPS device with flash memory from my local store because i need it by Thursday for a big trip im taking, i have a Circuit City, best buy, Fry's, CompUSA and Staples.

I was looking at different GPS units and noticed that a few come with a built in hard drive, i was wondering how durable these hard drives are since they get shaken around quite a bit when running in a car? i wanted to get a GPS device with flash memory from my local store because i need it by Thursday for a big trip im taking, i have a Circuit City, best buy, Fry's, CompUSA and Staples.

I see 15 people have read your question & am surprised no one has answered??!?! :)

I don't know enough to exactly advise your impending 24 hour purchase - but there are good units with cards available -

MY ADVICE is to wait for a more knowlegeable responder (THEY ARE HERE)..

For what its worth, you're going to pay TOP DOLLAR at a local store - you're better off buying on the net & paying 20.00 or more for overnight shipping

I got my 60c for nearly 200.00 off list with NO TAX & NO SHIPPING within 4 days to my front door! :D

That's tough to answer. The geocaching feature allows found and unfound. You won't get this in any of the navigation units. Now that V7 City Select has significantly reduced the storage required vs v6, the question you need to answer is do you want a hard drive that is more suceptible to mechanical and temperature failure vs SD card when you can purchase a 1 GB SD which covers all of N. America?

The other question is do you wnat a found and open feature for geocaching? You won't get this in any of the navigators.

You have not posted enought information for anyone to really help you out much

WHich ones are you looking at? (THat have a built in Hard Drive)

What features do you want?

You say some have a built in Hard Drive, those do not sound like hand held units.

IF you are looking at a Magellan roadmate, with those you cannot load waypoints so they are not a good choice for geocaching.

Sorry about that, it looks like ill have time to get one now and look online and take my time. I was looking at some of the GPS / PDA units just because it would be nice to have a unit to use in the car mostly but also have a unit to do paperless caching, the price im looking at is around $600. So far im not sure if the PDA GPS devices are as good as most of the car only units. I noticed the Dell Axim X51v with a gps unit is on sale for $582, would that be a good idea? or just stick with a seperate GPS unit and a PDA unit.

Edited by Scifi Man