Icons To Mapsource

debi13

In Mapsource, in your list of waypoints, highlight all the waypoints that you want to change the symbols of......right click on the group of selected waypoints, then click on waypoint properties, and a window will come up showing all the list of symbols compatible with your model GPSr. Select which one you want and all the symbols for waypoints that you had highlighted are changed.

Maybe someone else knows differently, but I believe the ones shown in the Mapsource pulldown selection window should match all the symbols that the model GPSr you have told Mapsource you are using is capable of displaying.

Example:Mine is a Map76CS and I see the treasure chests (open & closed) and the camera, but not multiple, and not the ?

Maybe others know of a way to do it or create custom symbols on your unit.

from where did you load the custom icons to your gpsr? if it’s: ~my garmin/custom waypoint icons you’re ok. if not: copy them to that directory. duplicate all icons and rename them to 000.bmp, 001.bmp and so on. now mapsource should recognize them.

happy mapping.

edit: typo

Edited by HHL

I have used Ximage copied them to the My Garmin file and installed them to the garmin 60cs

everything works fine

what I'm looking for is to send "the Custom Waypoints" from GSAK to Mapsend or from mygps with the same symbols

all Mapsource shows from the gps is the black square waypoint mark

and from GSAK I cannot send any of the custom waypoints at all

so is there a way to install Custom Waypoints to MAPSOURCE

I have used Ximage copied them to the My Garmin file and installed them to the garmin 60cs

everything works fine

what I'm looking for is to send "the Custom Waypoints" from GSAK to Mapsend or from mygps with the same symbols

all Mapsource shows from the gps is the black square waypoint mark

and from GSAK I cannot send any of the custom waypoints at all

so is there a way to install Custom Waypoints to MAPSOURCE

For MapSource

An excerpt from THIS POST

Here's the tricky part. When the customized waypoints are downloaded to the computer, new folders are created in the "My Documents" folder for whichever profile you're logged onto the computer as. In my case, having Windows 2000 and logged on as "Administrator", the waypoint icon bitmaps are stored in

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols

In xImage, the custom waypoints are named "Waypoint Symbol xxx.bmp". For some reason, Garmin has named the corresponding waypoint filenames for the MapSource side as simply "xxx.bmp"

So, after I sent my waypoints to MapSource, I found the following files in my C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols folder:

000.bmp, 001.bmp, 002.bmp, 003.bmp, 004.bmp, 005.bmp, 006.bmp and 007.bmp

I only have 8 waypoints using custom waypoint symbols in my GPSr right now.

Each of those eight files were simple blue circles.

So I deleted those eight files, and replaced them with copies of my xImage "Waypoint Symbol xxx.bmp" files. Then I had to rename each of those files as simply "xxx.bmp".

Example: I copied my "Waypoint Symbol 001.bmp" from xImage and put it into C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols folder, and then renamed it as "001.bmp"

Now, when I open a MapSource .gdb file, that was created with data uploaded into MapSource AFTER it was updated with the new 6.5 Beta version, I see my custom waypoint images!

Edited by Neo_Geo

I must be a little slow. I have the icons loaded in my GPSr and I have them edited as 001.bmp etc. Do I actually have to change all 1000 waypoints by hand to either a multi, tradition, etc?

You can bulk load waypoints with custom icons via GSAK to Mapsource and your GPS.

A bit fiddly but you only have to set it up once. For a Garmin you have to put the xxx.bmp icons in the "...\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols" folder. You have to upload the custom icons to the GPS. Unfortunately, Garmin named them differently on the GPS... the icons must be named "Waypoint Symbol xxx.bmp" before uploading them to the GPS. To make the icons available in GSAK you have to list them in the GSAK program dir in a file named "GarminOther.txt". Sample:

Custom 0 ; traditional

Custom 1 ; traditionalFound

Custom 3 ; multi

Custom 4 ; multiFound

Once this is done you just have to map the icons to the GSAK symbols during the export (you can save the config) and all will be good!

ok I made that txt document and wrote in the info. How do I map the icons so I can export them?

In GSAK File->Export->Mapsource:

In the export dialog there is a "Change" GPS Symbols button.

In the "Change waypoint/icons..." menu the "icon" drop-down list will show the "custom" entries that you set up in the file. Play with the "Cache type only", "Status only" or "combined" radio button until you get what you like. I like the combined setting because I like to display all icons with either a found or not found symbol (that's why I have the "traditional" and "traditional found" custom icons.