Software Needed For Geocaching

crazycoyote

I just bought a Vista C.

I will use this for caching with my son in Michigan. I thought of buying a topo map, but maybe that is more than I need.

What I would like is a software program that allows me to see surroundings like streams, rivers, and roads all around the cache so that I have a good idea as the best way to access the cache as opposed to finding out after I get into the woods.

Are these capabilities already on the GPSr or is there a software program available that I should load?

if your looking for software to put in your unit i would go to garmins web site and you can see what they offer for your needs. you can also view their software (demo it) on their site to see for sure if it offers what you want. i like topo but my first choice is roads and rec. (discontinued) lots of road detail poi etc... i have both loaded on my garmin.

hope this helps

I tried Google Earth, but found it isn't very clear when I tried to get close enough to see.

Then I joined Earth Plus but it wasn't any better.

As mentioned above, Roads and Recreation by Garmin are maps you can load right into your GPS and also view on your PC. It is discontinued, but you can get it on eBay. You won't get the most up to date road info, but all the small stream, lakes, etc are in there pretty good.

I appreciate I'm talking from a UK perspective, where thanks to OS our paper maps are genuinely the best in the world, but why not save your cash and buy a paper map? Surely even in remote areas of the US you can get a 1:50k map? Mapping software is so expensive here that I just use a non-mapping GPS plus a 1:25k map. For digitising maps GPSU is great and route planning is via EasyGPS. Both can be found via a "Freeware GPS" searchon Google. ;)