Gprs Advice Sought

Technowizards,

I have a Panasonic Toughbook which has an integral GSM/GPRS modem which I would like to use to check or make updates to logs whilst mobile.

Does anyone know the best option available to procure a SIM to remain constantly in the Toughbook predominantly for GPRS usage.

I also need to replace a traditional mobile as my "brick" is past its best. Is it possible to get two SIMS on one account?

My voice call useage is very low and I only expect to use Internet via GPRS in moderation.

All advice on sourcing SIMS and GPRS costings likely to be incured updating Geocaching.com data welcomed.

Regards

Colin

About two years ago I dumped my mobile contract and went to Virgin. I've got two SIM cards which are both on Direct Debit. The charges are a bit heavy for cross-network calls (35p/minute) but aside from that it's basically a pay-as-you-go phone but charged to my account every month. I also get a fully itemised bill at no extra cost.

I think GPRS is 0.5p per kilobyte, or roughly £5 per megabyte. If your phone doesn't support GPRS and you need a new one you'll have to pay full price for it - since they aren't tying you into a monthly contract they can't subsidise the cost of the phone.

The only thing I would like to have back is being able to divert my calls to another specified number - Virgin still don't support this, which is a great shame. Aside from that I really haven't looked back - as a light user my bills have dropped from around £50 to around £10 per month.

I use BT Mobile with 2 SIMs. It gives me free calls to my home number (limited to 2 mins per call and 100 per day) which is what we mainly use it for, other calls to fixed lines at 12ppm and variable to mobile networks and GPRS is available at £4 per meg (+VAT).

Suits me but more inclined to look for a WiFi link to my laptop if out and about.