Cache Disappeared!

LeGodFather

While trying to go to on the cache page of GCT2JY, I get the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.ShowError(String ErrorMessage, Boolean HidePanels) +554

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.SecurityCheck() +797

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.BuildCachePage() +1729

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +56

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1082

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +387

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +755

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

I usually go to a cache page by double-clicking on the cache line in GSAK.

I even have the published log, 2 founds and 2 notes.

It just doesn't seem to exist anymore. I went in the owner's profile to see if it was there and it's not!

Anyone as a idea about what happenned?

Just really curious about this!

Oh, and before anyone chimes in with "this must be a GSAK issue", forget the fact the browser page is being called up from GSAK

Just go to the Geocaching.com search page and do a find on "Waypoint code":

cap124.png

I too get the exact same error when I do this.

Oh, and before anyone chimes in with "this must be a GSAK issue", forget the fact the browser page is being called up from GSAK

Just go to the Geocaching.com search page and do a find on "Waypoint code":

cap124.png

I too get the exact same error when I do this.

Sorry Clyde, I should have mentionned that too. I did try it that way too, so I know it's not a GSAK issue. That's why I didn't post it on your forum! B)

I've seen that before, when a cache's listing was retracted.

Is that all there is to it..??

and BTW, it doesn't do it anymore, I get the usual message:

An Error Has Occured

Sorry, you cannot view this cache listing until it has been published.

If that's what it's saying now, it's a good bet it was retracted for some reason.

I have just been clearing out my GSAK database, and usually if caches have not updated for a while I just double check that they have been archived then delete them.

However, I've come across GCMJM8 in my database (The Pirates Treasure Chest by The Palm Pirates), and oddly enough it no longer appears anywhere on the website, not even as an archived cache. It was placed in Jan 2005 and lots of people have logged it, but it just seems to have disappeared into the ether.

It also does not appear on the finds list of anyone who found the cache. There have been over 30 finds for this cache and it has been out for over a year, surely it's not right that all the finders should have their finds removed?

T

I took a look at both the caches referenced above.

Both caches had been published, then "unpublished". In the first case the cache owner was asked for additional information, and the cache's state is "archivage temporaire" awaiting that.

In the second case it's an older cache. The cache owner has moved it and asked the cache reviewer to update the coords and text. The cache reviewer has corrected the coords, but because of the large amount of editing asked the cache owner to do the text himself. It was "unpublished" to allow that to be done.

See, there's a (somewhat) logical explanation for everything. :anicute:

erik - geocaching.com volunteer cache reviewer

I took a look at both the caches referenced above.

Both caches had been published, then "unpublished". In the first case the cache owner was asked for additional information, and the cache's state is "archivage temporaire" awaiting that.

In the second case it's an older cache. The cache owner has moved it and asked the cache reviewer to update the coords and text. The cache reviewer has corrected the coords, but because of the large amount of editing asked the cache owner to do the text himself. It was "unpublished" to allow that to be done.

See, there's a (somewhat) logical explanation for everything. :anicute:

erik - geocaching.com volunteer cache reviewer

Shouldn't it just be made temporarily unavailable then? Because it can't be seen at all people have lost their finds as it does not show in finder's stats. The second one has been in this state since 3rd Feb - if it never gets re-published those finds will be gone for good.

T