Problems With My Garmin 60cs

4ClicksGPS

Recently I've tried to calibrate my compass on my 60CS it doesn't work. It starts out with the "turn 2 circles" sentence. At the bottom it says "just right" even though I'm not even turning the unit. When I turn the unit it makes no difference. After about a minute or 2 it will time out and say that the calibration failed. Anyone ever had this happen? How about a fix? :)

I have not had that happen to my 60cs - yet. I just went through the manual looking for a clue. Is the compass icon on the status bar? Turn it on/off from the compass page by holding the page button. The compass can also be calibrated from the calibration page under the setup menu. The manual states the compass can be turned off to save battery power. Maybe the batteries need changing.

Are you using the 4.05 beta firmware? If so, it might be a bug.

I've changed the batteries and still the same. The software version is 3.xx something and I just upgraded yesterday to 4.0.

I'll look for the calibration menu under setup and see if that makes any difference.

I've also got an email in to Garmin... if they give me a fix I'll post it here.

I've calibrated it every time I've changed batteries out. It's just now when I try it, it's like compass isn't working. When I hit calibrate, the message at the bottom of the screen says "just right" even when I'm not turning it or holding it correctly. Usually if you don't do it correctly it will let you know... if you go too fast it will normally tell you you're going too fast. Now it just gets stuck saying "just right". Hopefully Garmin will get back with me.

Recently I've tried to calibrate my compass on my 60CS it doesn't work. It starts out with the "turn 2 circles" sentence. At the bottom it says "just right" even though I'm not even turning the unit. When I turn the unit it makes no difference. After about a minute or 2 it will time out and say that the calibration failed. Anyone ever had this happen? How about a fix? :mad:

Hi,

It is very important when you calibrate an electronic compass that you are in an area without (electro)magnetic sources. Being inside your house may disturb the calibration process, as there are electromagnetic sources everywhere. Try to calibrate being outside, but not close the power lines, cars, big metallic structures, etc. Second thing to observe: the orientation of the device, in your case horizontally. If you don't observe this it won't calibrate. Try to ask a buddy who has as well a unit with electronic compass to do the calibration with you (both units together), if it works for one unit and not for the second then it's a setting problem or you really have to get it repaired.

Greetings,

AK :mad: