Best Method For More Than 500 Waypoints

MetroGT

I'm curious what the best method is to get more than the 500 pocket query limit on my Legend. I would still like to have a similar radius if possible. I don't have to have a full 1000 waypoints since I may need to add one during placing a cache or trying to find my vehicle, etc.

Is there a way to grab 500 in each of the four directions and then grabbing the closest 950 or so and add them?

Or do I need to grab 500 from the nearest 4 major cities near me and then compile them together and grab what I want?

Any info would be great.

Thanx,

MetroGT

<Magellan user> Does the Legend support 1000 waypoints? :huh: Personally, I use a laptop when I'm out of town and don't load the GPSr full up. Saves time. Currently, I have one database in GSAK that contains nearly 4000 waypoints, from Kentucky to South Carolina. :)

On second thought, it looks like your question is leaning more towards how to get the queries you want, than anything to do with your Legend. Best way that I've found is to set up your query using the 'preview' function until you get what you want from each of them. You can query by date placed until you get the earliest 500, etc. Run your queries, then merge them in GSAK.

Hope that helps.

Yes, it holds 1000. I currently have 540 on it. That's 500 Not found from a query, 2 new caches I quickly added today, and my 38 Finds.

I was just curious if there was a way to get up to 1000 without using 4 queries to get a larger area of coverage. I guess I could just grab one from the 2 major cities I may visit, but I like the idea of just a larger radius in case I'm just in the area so to speak.

I wanted a way to keep a current list. You 4000 is nice, but I'd hate to find out that a cache had been disabled and I didn't know only because I hadn't run a current search.

Thanx for the reply though.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

MetroGT

It's implicit in what E told you above. It sounds like you are wanting the nearest 1000 unfound caches, or something close to that.

The best way is to set up two PQs that will give you those. To make them not overlap, you divide them by "date placed".

The starting trick (for you) is knowing how far out to go.

For me, I know that is a 54.5 mile radius. I also know the dividing point to get about 500 in each PQ is a placed date of before or after 7/7/05. (How do I know that...because I have more than 1000 nearby caches loaded in GSAK so I can determine in there.)

So to start, get GSAK (or something like that so you can manipulate your cache information.)

Then pick a distance you think will cover 1000 caches. Make a PQ to that distance and select on date placed to get the results below 500. Then make the complementary selection and see if you can get all the caches to that distance in two PQs.