Any Tricks For Using The Tape On Windy Days?

Photobuff

I haven't had to fight that battle too many times. The main thing I do is to measure it in smaller than usual segments.

If you have help, the rear taper can line in the head taper toward the goal. If you are by yourself, sight your line and mark it with stakes, or rocks, or sticks laid the right direction, so you stay on line while taping. Then measure in the direction of the rock or past the rock and pin a point that is a round number, for example a 10 or 20 ft point. Measure another modest length from there, etc. until you get to the goal The shorter segments won't be as much affected by wind as a 50 or 100 ft span. Then add up the segments and double check that it agrees with a paced distance so you didn't leave one out. For cheap marking pins, you can use popsicle sticks or plastic eating utensils.

If you have an assistant you can use more tension than usual to minimize the sideways movement of the tape. That is harder to do if you are using a deadman stake to hold the end of the tape.

I suppose one could set a lot of stakes to hold the tape from going sideways in the wind. I find it easier to just use the smaller increments.

A surveyor's steel tape is heavier and a bit stiffer than a fiberglass tape. They are not blown around as easily and are not as prone to stretching as a fiberglass or cloth tape can be. However, they are also not as easy to find and much easier to damage (by kinking or breaking).

If measuring shorter segments (called 'breaking chain' by surveyors, particularly on sloped surfaces) is the preferred measurement method, a surveyor's set of 'chaining pins' would help. The pins are 14 inches long, pointed on one end with a loop on the other, and come in sets of eleven for about $20. Many surveyor's supply stores carry them including Forestry-Suppliers and Hayes Instrument.

- Kewaneh

Thanks- interesting collection of techniques. Like any other hobby, there are always ways to spend money and acquire more stuff! I have to say the best idea is using plastic dinnerware. Not so much for the tape- I'll probably just content myself with avoiding windy conditions, but for marking parallel lines and such. I've seen bright orange plastic knives and forks that would be perfect, and it never occurred to me they might have other uses. My dad has a very old 100' steel tape. IMO, it's heavy, subject to rust, and a PITA to use. The craftsmanship though, is fantastic. Not sure who made it.

edit-

Ohh, just checked out those survey supply places. One could spend lots of $$ and get some really cool stuff like the Trimble units, though I doubt it would find any more benchmarks than my lowly Magellan.

Edited by Photobuff

My major interest is benchmarks that nobody else can find, that probably don't exist, and are almost invariably buried. Once I've diagrammed the situation and established something to measure from that still exists (though it's often an imaginary center line of non-existent RR tracks), the tape is my most important tool. Second is probably the metal detector. The goal is to establish the probable location within the tiniest possible area, then do some exploratory digging. My success rate is terrible, but is balanced by the incredible high of finding something every now and then :o