Puzzle Cache--where Do I Begin?

I'm throwing myself on the wisdom of the forums. I've just discovered a puzzle cache I want to solve, and don't understand how to begin to solve it. GCT1B3 has the following coordinates within 4km of N 42° 57.000 W 082° 10.000:

N 42º YI.(YVI+PKY) W 082º K.(KYV+K)

I'm not looking for an answer, just an idea of where to begin.

Thanks!

Wide Eyed Wanderers

I'm throwing myself on the wisdom of the forums. I've just discovered a puzzle cache I want to solve, and don't understand how to begin to solve it. GCT1B3 has the following coordinates within 4km of N 42° 57.000 W 082° 10.000:

N 42º YI.(YVI+PKY) W 082º K.(KYV+K)

I'm not looking for an answer, just an idea of where to begin.

Thanks!

Wide Eyed Wanderers

I'd advise you to write to the cache owner. Its up to them to decide if they want to give you and additional hint.

JDandDD

One of the oft-overlooked factors in setting maths puzzles is that the answer is _almost_ known, since we know roughly where it is, and therefore roughly what range the numbers can be.

We've* solved a couple of puzzle caches without getting the clue (from a sign or whatever) just by making some assumptions, getting a few solutions, and testing them in a mapping program. Caches are usually near tracks or in parks, so not being able to 'mathematically' solve an equation doesn't mean you can't tease the answers out of it!

* "We" in this case means "my wife" since I'm an engineer and _know_ that you can't solve an nth order equation with n+1 unknowns!

She doesn't know that it's impossible, so she just goes and does it.